Mid-week Dinner & Weekend Lunch

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
Got home from work on Thursday and decided to fire up the 22" kettle for a little dinner. Lit about 3/4 chimney of Kingsford Pro and added some unlit coals for good measure. Then crammed some legs on the indirect side of the cooking grate

ThurDinner (1).jpg ThurDinner (3).jpg

After the legs were done, I add a few more coals to maintain cooking temp and threw on some thighs.

ThurDinner (4).jpg ThurDinner (6).jpg

Thigh's done. Time to eat!
ThurDinner (7).jpg ThurDinner (5).jpg

Friday we decided it'd be a good time for the first overnight cook of the season and this pork butt decided to "volunteer" for the honor.

PorkShoulder (2).jpg

To be honest, I didn't really plan for this cook so I had to improvise a bit on several fronts. Anyway, I fired the the 18" WSM with a full ring of Kingsford Pro and a hodgepodge of hickory, apple and pecan "chunks" that I cobbled together from a few bags of scraps from last season. The butt went on at about 10:30 pm and cooked for about 11 hours. It took a bit for me to get the temperature where I wanted it, I probably started with too few coals, and it likely didn't help that most of my "starter coals" had been used previously. I went to bed about midnight and my remote thermometer woke me a couple of times for low temps. One of those times I found that the water bowl was not seated properly inside the cooker but was instead resting on the charcoal. Once I moved it back into place, and the temperature settled back down from the influx of oxygen, the temperature settled into a sweet spot and I was able to sleep through the rest of the night.

Once the sun was up, I had to add about a dozen more coals (half lit and half unlit) to maintain temp for the last hour or so. I pulled the butt off the smoker around 9:30 am and wrapped it in foil and towels and stuffed it into a cooler to rest/hold until lunch time.

PorkShoulder (6).jpg

I don't have any good pictures of the finished product all pulled and served up for lunch, here it is before pulling.

PorkShoulder (11).jpg

Final Thoughts: While not my best tasting pulled pork, it was very tender and pulled apart very easily. Additionally, there were no complaints from the family and anytime I get to cook on the WSM is a win, so I'll take it!

There'd be no complaints from me on any of it, Brian! Good looking grub, and I'd say you have some lunches/dinners set for a few days at least! :)

Rich

Two of my favorite meals there, I am going to try to get each of them in the rotation this week. The bark on that pork is awesome.

Back