Afternoon Rib cook

RLittle

TVWBB Super Fan
Had planned on cooking a rack we had just thawed for an afternoon hangout. Everyone’s plans changed but cooked the ribs anyway.
I’ve been using the SnS mini basket (made for the JJ 18). Basket filled with B&B and apple-cherry chunks.

IMG_4471.jpeg
Added 6 hot coals to basket.

IMG_4472.jpeg
WSK held at this setup at 250 for hours. Ribs at 2 hours in.

IMG_4473.jpeg
Finished product below. These were basted lightly with a Carolina Gold sauce. They turned out great.

IMG_4478.jpeg

I don’t know if I burned 3/4 of the basket on this one. This cooker is just a miser on fuel. It was probably a 6 hour total burn time before not necessarily entire cook time.
IMG_4476.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4478.jpeg
    IMG_4478.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 9
Rich - thanks for posting this. Did you fill the SNS water reservoir? I'd like to try this/something similar. I can get my WSK to run at 250F, but the way you're showing here seems like less effort than the way I've been doing it.

I'm assuming your lower vent was at the "Smoke" setting and top vent was about half open?

The small SnS basket does have a non-removable water pan. I haven't used water in it yet and just typically run it dry. I usually bump my lower vent a little more open that than the "smoke" marker. The upper vent probably was about half or less open.

I don't see a reason to buy / use the slow and sear. But good to see it used on the WSK.

I created a bro-n-sear for my kettle, but just use the lower rack on the WSK for LAS. This is my setup for lower time cooks:

1714665859958.png

NOTE: Credit to BrettEDH for showing me this set up. I use Kingsford Pro as my starters (easy / fast to light / ash over) and B&B as my low and slow briquette.

Last edited:
Todd.....Yep, I agree with that setup. I use the typical setup like that on the lower grate although I usually use my WSM 18 coal ring (It fits perfect on the lower grate). I've used the exact same "Brett" setup as well on cooks that I think may not take long. I screwed up cooking a brisket one time and underestimated coal usage.....I was scrambling at 5 AM removing the cooking grate and the deflector to re-up my charcoal. I switched to the WSM ring after this. It's overkill but I don't worry about it. Truth be told, the mishap was all my fault.
My point was more to show the efficiency using the SNS mini basket made for the Jumbo Joe. This is a quick setup to smoke ribs or chicken while using the upper grate.

Back