Smoking on the Gasser

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
What is the best way to get a good smoke flavor on the Weber 435 gasser? I have tried a smoke box and pellets in a tube, but have not been very successful. Maybe I am not doing it right, not starting it early or long enough, or maybe that is just the way it is in the gasser. Just looking for some input. Thanks

Get some hickory shag bark to put in the box, go easy with it till you find how much flavor you like, put it on a couple minutes before your food and watch it, when it starts smoking put your food on. you wont want to grill without it after your first time.

I understand what you are cooking makes a big difference. The temperature is different for the cook of course. With steaks of course on high heat and direct grill, the smoke factor is really not there, but if you are doing a reverse sear that takes some time, then it could make a difference. Maybe some chicken done slowly.

I was thinking about doing some ribs my gasser. My old smoker (Cheapo Brinkman) has passed, and my experience with the box and tube haven't been very successful producing smoke flavor. I was trying to see if I could come up with a reliable smoke source to actually make ribs.

Not sure where to find the hickory shag bark----

Just trying to pick up some reliable ways to get some smoke flavor on the gasser. I don't have room for a secondary cooker like a pellet grill!

Can you try a smoke tube mixed with pellets and wood chips? I've added this setup to my pellet grill since I didn't like the smoke output on my pellet grill on its own. It made a difference with ribs.

@Mike-BBQ I'd start experimenting. For starters, consider getting the food grate up above the normal grates and put a sheet pan under it for drippings. I've used all sorts of things do do this even when I had a pellet so I could get the meat up and away from the heat and get a drip pan under it.

Work out your temp. I think 225F on an E425 can be done with one burner on low, maybe medium. If you need two burners, use the outer two, and get the meat raised up in the center.

Since the center burners are off, put a couple of smoke tubes under the main grates directly on the flavorizer bars. I've used pellets but started using wood chips. I get pecan chips online from amazon. Post Oak has been harder to find.

Do you have a good remote thermometer ? If you can measure grate temp with the food grate raised up then you should be able to dial in the temperature. Once you know what it takes, light the smoke tubes and get some meat on.

As far as things to raise up the grates, I used extra flavorizer bars and I've also used fire bricks. I might have pics somewhere but I think you'll get what I'm suggesting.

DanHoo

Great suggestions. This was my first real try on the 425. I probably could just use the upper racks and put a drip pan below. I was not familiar with the burner controls enough to do it correctly. I turned on the right burner to low medium range, and turned on the rest (bad mistake) to the very lowest. Temp was about 400+ on the temp gauge. Actually, at about one hour in, they looked great and the Thermapen said they were 208 degrees. I was afraid there would not be smokey enough, and left them on a bit more. Then I wrapped them, because that is the way I had always done before, and it went down hill from there. I think I am going to stop the wrap faze and just spritz more.

Before buying a lot of smokers, I used to make ribs on the gas grill by putting a "burrito" in the grill, made from rolling up some HD foil with wood chips. I would poke various size holes in the foil to get it to burn properly. I lit it with a propane torch. Putting a piece of fully lit charcoal in the foil with the chips helps keep it going, or just get some chips to coal up before closing it up.

Fruit woods are my preference with pork ribs. Cherry and apple are my favorites. Cherry will give your ribs a beautiful red color. I use it for smoking those Hillshire Farms Kielbasa sausages a few hours at below 200F. For your steaks, try some mesquite, using similar techniques. Mesquite has a very strong flavor, but you don't get much time on smoke when grilling a steak. A little mesquite can be great. It's my favorite wood for steaks and tri-tip.

I used to make ribs on the gas grill by putting a "burrito" in the grill, made from rolling up some HD foil with wood chips. I would poke various size holes in the foil to get it to burn properly.
Several people have suggested the foil pack or "burrito". Do you get enough smoke to last say 2-3 hours, or do you have to refill the burrito or just put another foil pack on?

@Mike-BBQ I'd start experimenting. For starters, consider getting the food grate up above the normal grates and put a sheet pan under it for drippings. I've used all sorts of things do do this even when I had a pellet so I could get the meat up and away from the heat and get a drip pan under it.

Work out your temp. I think 225F on an E425 can be done with one burner on low, maybe medium. If you need two burners, use the outer two, and get the meat raised up in the center.

Since the center burners are off, put a couple of smoke tubes under the main grates directly on the flavorizer bars. I've used pellets but started using wood chips. I get pecan chips online from amazon. Post Oak has been harder to find.

Do you have a good remote thermometer ? If you can measure grate temp with the food grate raised up then you should be able to dial in the temperature. Once you know what it takes, light the smoke tubes and get some meat on.

As far as things to raise up the grates, I used extra flavorizer bars and I've also used fire bricks. I might have pics somewhere but I think you'll get what I'm suggesting.
This all the way.
Find an extra grate from somewhere and use something to hold it up --- I use a couple of tin cans. With a 4 burner - you shouldn't need to have more than two burners on the lowest setting after the grill heats up - preferably the outside two with the raised rack in the center. Smoke tube. Don't be afraid to turn the burners off if the food temps out so that it can suck up more smoke --- you can always finish it with high heat or on the grates later for a reverse sear. Make sure you temp the grate to see what your temps really are.
I have great success on my 2 burner all the time. I need to set up my silver B for this too.

Attachments

• 20210729_172038.jpg
    20210729_172038.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210729_182853.jpg
    20210729_182853.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220530_185306.jpg
    20220530_185306.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 8
I cherry wood smoked some Hillshire Farms Kielbasa on my komado today, for my wifes BBQ bean dish Monday. I used to do these on the gas grill with a foil burrito full of cherry.20240523_161142[1].jpg
Beautiful red color from cherry.

Find an extra grate from somewhere and use something to hold it up --- I use a couple of tin cans. With a 4 burner - you shouldn't need to have more than two burners on the lowest setting after the grill heats up - preferably the outside two with the raised rack in the center. Smoke tube. Don't be afraid to turn the burners off if the food temps out so that it can suck up more smoke --- you can always finish it with high heat or on the grates later for a reverse sear. Make sure you temp the grate to see what your temps really are.
Great idea and with the pictures, makes it seem simple. I have a smoke tube somewhere that is round and not hex, but that should work. I didn't have success with it in the past. I also have a rib rack stand I have used in the past in the smoker that may work too.

Thanks for you suggestions and help!

I came to the conclusion that it works best if you can get the meat up higher off the grates - preferably right at the height level of the back vent for the lid - I figure that the volume above the vent is where all the smoke hangs out! It also minimizes any direct heat - I fight that with my 2 burner, but you shouldn't have any problems running a 4 burner. Scrounge around for a grate from a scrapper grill to use - a 4 burner will give you LOTS of room to play with compared to a 2 or 3 burner. Let the grill warm up with all burners on low to ~250 lid temp - then turn off the middle two and let it settle. I find that rack and grate temps over off burners runs ~200-250 when the lid temp reads ~150ish --- perfect smoking temps! Verify with a probe to calibrate your grill. NEVER be afraid to turn the burns off mid cook to add more smoke!!!! With the 4 burner - you may want to alternate between outer left and right burners thru the cook..... A 4 burner gives you a LOT of space and options to play with - once you figure it out, you'll be making some really nice smoky foods!

I'll post up more pics after I do some country style ribs on the 2 burn on Monday.....

I wish I was a welder.... I have designs in my head for making a custom rack/grate system just to make gassers smoking machines.....

I have a smoke tube somewhere that is round and not hex, but that should work. I didn't have success with it in the past.
Fill the tube with pellets, stand the tube on end and light it with a torch . Let it burn for 5 mins, then blow out the flame, then set it on its side.

This guy uses a heat gun to light the pellets.

Last edited:
I have used the smoke tube for cold or colder type smokes.
It works great for adding smoke flavor to things like homemade lox or cream cheese.
I don’t much care for the type of smoked salmon that is overly cooked so I will use the smoke tube to cold(ish) smoke the fish to what I call salmon candy.
This works well with sturgeon too.

I normally use an extra smoker and place the tube at the lowest point with a tray below a higher rack.
I will lay down the tube down at an angle in a pan or a smoke and sear (for elevation issues) if I’m using a kettle.

If I just had a gasser at my disposal I wouldn’t do it much different.
Maybe smoke using the tube for a bit.
When the flavor is what you want switch the cook style back to your regular gasser cook style.

Do you all find that one go round with the tube (or foil pack) gives you enough smoke time, or do you have to reload after a while?

My 12" tube ~3/4 full will give me 2-3 hours of smoke depending on what pellets I use --- more than enough for anything that I smoke/grill on the gasser.
I've found the real key to getting good smoke flavor on the gasser is to make sure the meat is pretty dry --- put it on a rack in the fridge dry brining 3-4 hours before cooking minimum. Of course it depends on the meat/skin coverage/cut..... drumsticks smoke well while whole thighs not as well - boneless/skinless only take ~1.5 hours -- brats same ---- if it doesn't pick up good smoke in 3 hours you should change equipment.

Back