The project has begun!!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Nephew came for dinner Sunday afternoon, made up some rudimentary drawings and a cutting schedule. Pulled end caps of the blue lid. Then we had some nice big ribeyes, asparagus and little potatoes. Sorry we were too hungry to get pictures.
Today I found a sandblaster not far from home and took the caps over, they quoted me their minimum which would include the firebox! So, I got home and had to dig in my feeble mind about how the thing all comes apart but, got that out only breaking one bolt(yes, the firebox bolt!) so, I’m happy. I’ll get the box over in the morning. There isn’t a big rush since the frame has not been built yet. Got a new igniter ordered the old one was getting pretty corroded and that cheap!
Nephew has a connection to a metal finisher that can anodize the endcaps and maybe the box so, that would be far more durable than rattle can painting. Won’t be very cheap but, should last many years. You have all seen a torn down frame hundreds of times so, the deconstruction doesn’t need to be shown but, when things start getting finished and reassembled.
Cross your fingers that it goes well, the blaster pointed me to someone who might be able to do the engraving. I’m not goi g to get too worked up about that yet, might be cost prohibitive but, we shall see…
More to follow.

Blue lid... cool. Sounds like this is an all in project. Looking forward to seeing progress pics and how it turns out.

Will anodizing work ok on castings? Never seen it done so was under the impression could not be done effectively

I would pass on anodizing the castings.... I would think that the castings would be too porous to anondize and look decent and I would be leary that it wouldn't hold up to the grilling temps all that well --- it would probably chalk out much faster and worse than painting it well with good paint. Painting over failed anodizing would be a future problem too.

Parts are being sandblasted right now, I will be in contact with the finishing people before I do the anodizing for several reasons, expense being the leading factor. I just dropped the box off and the production manager came out and said that he might have them done TODAY! He is a grill guy so he’s kind of interested in the project, he’s also looking for a lawn mower. I told him I might have one in the garage, unless I already gave it away🤔? It might take a while to dig down to it if it’s even in that back corner…

Last edited:
Update! Blasting was complete in about an hour so, now I’m waiting on frame fabrication, engraving and final finish and assembly! This will be a while, I think.

@Timothy F. Lewis I must have missed the prelude to this. What is the project grill ?
Dan, this has been a “What the heck” project in the back of my addled mind for over a year.
I have fiddled with the frame on a $20.00 Genesis since Bruce walked me through that simple quick restoration. Well, replacement of guts and repainting. And many, many, thanks for that!
My nephew is a good welder and feels that we can get a 304 SS frame build done before sanity returns.
End caps and firebox are sandblasted and ready for paint! The concern regarding porosity and anodizing is a sound question.
I’m starting to reconsider multiple coats of HH rustoleum.
Many steps yet to go.

Should anyone feel the need to assist in the “Moaning chair” cocktail libations feel free to send the best bourbon witching budget! Should those offerings be “Significant” an invitation to the use of this “pearl” upon completion!
Or should any of you folks be passing through, given enough heads up, snacks, cocktails and fun are welcome!
Note
“Moaning chair” is a reference to Howard Chappelle’s statement in “Boatbuilding” (I believe it’s circa. 1948 but don’t hold me to that).
In my mind that is a critical point in more facets of life that just woodworking!
Wish me luck!

Just to expand on the anodizing ---- I can't say I've EVER seen cast aluminum anodized.... only machined or extruded with a good surface finish - ie smooth. The anodizing 'may' protect the cast - it done well and thick - but I would think it would come out in a matte finish... even if hard coated. The worst outcome would be that the rough surface would allow the coating to fail faster --- we've all seen what failed anodizing looks like - and thats not even on things subjected to high heat --- and then you are kinda stuck - removing anodizing would be VERY difficult.

It may work out just fine, but I wouldn't want to test the theory on a 'top notch' rebuild just to find out you were wrong; It would be a different story if you were going for a specific color, but I would still be leary myself. I've seen way to many corroded anodized housings (MIL spec coatings that were subjected to underwater fresh/salt water) to know how bad it can be if the coating fails. Any kind of galvanic coupling can be hell on an anodized part.

Just to expand on the anodizing ---- I can't say I've EVER seen cast aluminum anodized.... only machined or extruded with a good surface finish - ie smooth. The anodizing 'may' protect the cast - it done well and thick - but I would think it would come out in a matte finish... even if hard coated. The worst outcome would be that the rough surface would allow the coating to fail faster --- we've all seen what failed anodizing looks like - and thats not even on things subjected to high heat --- and then you are kinda stuck - removing anodizing would be VERY difficult.

It may work out just fine, but I wouldn't want to test the theory on a 'top notch' rebuild just to find out you were wrong; It would be a different story if you were going for a specific color, but I would still be leary myself. I've seen way to many corroded anodized housings (MIL spec coatings that were subjected to underwater fresh/salt water) to know how bad it can be if the coating fails. Any kind of galvanic coupling can be hell on an anodized part.
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the insight, looking at the cost…I think four coats of paint should be as good as I can expect unless I decide to “Cerakote”… then I woke up!

Ok, I’m leaning away from the expense of anodizing, four coats of high heat paint should make it just lovely!
I agree an “iffy” surface with a great frame would just be like a whistle on a plow.

Chatted with the guy from the blaster today, he’s kind of intrigued by it we talked about finishing the frame and making me a “bit” of a deal on that. So, steel will be obtained next week and fabrication may commence! I need to get the back cleaned up a bit. I’ve got too many irons in the fire right now, deck staining (on hold from rain) flower planting for my wife who has not said one discouraging word about this (I’m a lucky man) insane project.yard cleanup, where to stash the old frame for tomorrow during a small party for the Kentucky Derby. And of course making the food for that get together.
Rack of pork, possibly kielbasa stuffed (waiting to see what Mark Silver says)
Caprese salad
Carrots, roasted
Green beans, steamed
Potatoes auGratin (Brunoise potatoes, my bechamel, from scratch)
Strawberry shortcake (homemade)
Juleps of course!

Today was a perfect day for painting and general back yard “stuff”! No lawn mowing but that’s a different thread.
So I got the fire box and end caps out of the garage and set up a painting station. Taped and masked in about half an hour with only small mutterings so, that was fine. Dug the “trigger” for rattle can paint out of the bin where I had stored two cans of HH Rustoleum flat and semi gloss so, I didn’t need to go to get paint! Four coats on the box, six on the caps. Three hours scraping and cleaning the blue lid! DIL had not cleaned it once but, then again the thing sat in my garage waiting for some love for three years. But, they were dry enough to “set together” not pinned yet, need to get those in SS tomorrow when I go running a few errands.IMG_1043.jpeg
Oh, crap! I didn’t paint the inner edge of the end caps! Oh well, that’s fixable.

Love the blue lid!

Gerry
Thanks Gerry, that was on a 2000 Silver B that I picked up for $80. I had NO idea what I was doing but liked the blue lid. The firebox had gone nuclear several times and had a piece so some kind of mild steel screwed in to firm up the end. But, it was still square!? Got it home, started using it fiddled around with-it for a year or two and my wife’s son’s grill died so, being the good grandfather, I “loaned” it to them for several years. I ran across a maroon Genesis (1997) that needed everything from the waterline down so, Bruce and, Rich Dahl walked me through that refit and I’ve used that for gas projects since 2012(?). I got the Silver B back (in send it to the curb status) and parted it out (let me know, bars and burners available for postage!) and left the lid in the corner.
Now, the lunacy of building this whole thing in stainless has set in and, thanks to so many people here for the insight on how to NOT make some of the mistakes I sure would have!
More pictures will follow. But, I just felt good about how this step turned out!
Then, I looked at the inside lip on the caps! D’Oh!

Not to criticize.... but why no semi gloss on the firebox? I've used flat myself in the past, but thats because I screwed up - or didn't have a choice - and got flat. I would bet some semi gloss against a SS frame would pop!

Back