The 1st Rack is ON!

The first rack of baby backs is on the WSM - I think I used too much charcoal and had too much in the chimney, but what I have read from all of us is that it is a learning process. And if each cook is similar to the first one it is also a cardio exercise for an old retired firefighter!
Good luck, Ed! Take notes on all of the things you did from prep to seasoning to fuel, etc. It will become easier as you get a little experience under your belt for sure! .....and, you will almost always turn out tasty food every time!

Let us know how they turn out!

Rich

The first rack of baby backs is on the WSM - I think I used too much charcoal and had too much in the chimney, but what I have read from all of us is that it is a learning process. And if each cook is similar to the first one it is also a cardio exercise for an old retired firefighter!
Ribs are pretty forgiving as long as you don't let them dry out or overcook. I've had great results at temperatures everywhere between 225 and 325 F. Cooking to the desired color, wrapping and then cooking until probe tender works well, as does spritzing or mopping as needed if you prefer not to wrap. As @Rich G says, take notes as your cook progresses. Always nice to have reference points to refer to the next time.

Ed, ribs must be close to being done?? How did it go (or how is it going?) :)

BTW, apropos of nothing, my brother lives in Bradenton (Lakewood Ranch). I was out there in late January....nice to have a couple of 80 degree days! :)

R

My wife and I did a pretty good job of finishing off a whole rack of Baby Backs. They had a good finish on them a great smoke flavor (I used apple wood only with too much charcoal. I used a modified Minion method but WAY too much charcoal in the chimney. The temp never got above 320 before I got it down to 300+/- a dredger or two as it fluctuated. We used the 3-2-1 method but the 1 was more of 1/4 - just enough to get the BBQ sauce nicely planted. And, as for the end result - let's just say that it was a lot better than my first rack of ribs on the Pit Boss! It had a great smoke flavor. I spritzed it Apple Juice / water every hour. But I will need to learn to modify the 3-2-1 thing when the temps are so high - at least, that's how I am thinking through this now. My wife actually enjoyed them, so I guess it wasn't all lost. Now comes the hard part - I have to clean this all up!

My wife and I did a pretty good job of finishing off a whole rack of Baby Backs. They had a good finish on them a great smoke flavor (I used apple wood only with too much charcoal. I used a modified Minion method but WAY too much charcoal in the chimney. The temp never got above 320 before I got it down to 300+/- a dredger or two as it fluctuated. We used the 3-2-1 method but the 1 was more of 1/4 - just enough to get the BBQ sauce nicely planted. And, as for the end result - let's just say that it was a lot better than my first rack of ribs on the Pit Boss! It had a great smoke flavor. I spritzed it Apple Juice / water every hour. But I will need to learn to modify the 3-2-1 thing when the temps are so high - at least, that's how I am thinking through this now. My wife actually enjoyed them, so I guess it wasn't all lost. Now comes the hard part - I have to clean this all up!
Sounds great, Ed! Clean up is always a bit of a bummer. Just hit the grates with a brush (easiest while still warm/hot), and remember you only have to get the inside of the water pan uber clean.....eventually, the bottom of the pan will just get a fair amount of smoke grunge/deposit on it anyway. :)

Nice work!

R

Back