Sorry

Just let the rest of us have some fun and conversation
I am here to learn and read many threads.

A thread titled “Sorry” and the first sentence in the thread is:

At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks here, I'm going to call this Weber pellet grill fiasco for what it is...

I fail to see how this was intended for fun.

But this isn’t your first rodeo.

Apologies to everyone here who loved Lew Newby, and this is done with no disrespect to the man, but here is a post from another thread:

IMG_7702.jpeg

Post in thread 'New Searwood pic.'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/new-searwood-pic.96881/post-1130408

I guess I am a purist. I like cooking on gas. I dont like the idea of having to have electricity to run my grill. I also have yet to find someone that can cook on a pellet grill and give me the flavors of a gas grill. Now that is me, My opinion, and I suppose you can take that and 50 cents (If you are over 60) and go to Mickey D's and get a cup of coffee. LOL.. Happy grilling!!
---------------------------------------------
By the way - Had a very weak moment today at Goodwill and bought a Weber Q1000 (fairly clean) for less than 50 bucks... That makes 3 "Q" grills. (2 in the motor home) It will work out great beside the Genesis E310.. or the Genesis 1000 at the vacation home...

I guess I am a purist. I like cooking on gas. I dont like the idea of having to have electricity to run my grill. I also have yet to find someone that can cook on a pellet grill and give me the flavors of a gas grill. Now that is me, My opinion, and I suppose you can take that and 50 cents (If you are over 60) and go to Mickey D's and get a cup of coffee. LOL.. Happy grilling!!
By the way - Had a very weak moment today at Goodwill and bought a Weber Q1000 (fairly clean) for less than 50 bucks... That makes 3 "Q" grills. (2 in the motor home) It will work out great beside the Genesis E310.. or the Genesis 1000 at the vacation home...
Who could pass that up.
Now I have to say this has to be a joke I’m missing now gas has more flavor than pellets?

Good deal if the grate is in good shape. Nothing else to really go wrong. But, IDK about gas grill "flavor". Never noticed any flavor from a gas grill unless you did something to add flavor. Unless you mean simply "lack" of flavor. IOW neutral. And BTW so no misunderstanding the question was not meant in a derogatory manor

I am thankful to the Smokefire for convincing me that pellets grills are not for me and helping me on my journey to finding my gravity fed charcoal / wood griller. Way better smoke flavor and much simpler device given no auger and glow rod IMHO. I just wish Weber would have done it instead of Masterbuilt.

I keep looking at those things and still just keep scratching my head how they work instead of making a huge fire in the hopper. I keep seeing like a charcoal chimney. I know I am missing something. And I know they work. Also, (and this is a question), there is no fire in the cooking chamber (oven)? Only heat and smoke blown in?
And one really cool thing is that Fireboard company makes an adapter to control them from their systems.

I keep looking at those things and still just keep scratching my head how they work instead of making a huge fire in the hopper. I keep seeing like a charcoal chimney. I know I am missing something. And I know they work. Also, (and this is a question), there is no fire in the cooking chamber (oven)? Only heat and smoke blown in?
It was a head scratcher. Since the top of the hopper is closed off the only 2 openings are fan and cookbox. That keeps the fire contained in that area. As fuel is burned the wood and briquets just drop down into the firebox section. If I open the hopper the fire would go up. That is how I start it up, then close it after about 5 minutes to start cooking.

So to start it you leave the lid open then once it's going you shut the lid which contains it in the "business" section? Then combustion is controlled by fan? Which also blows the heat and smoke into the oven chamber? If you don't use all the fuel in a cook, assuming you can turn it off, stop the combustion and save the remainder?

So to start it you leave the lid open then once it's going you shut the lid which contains it in the "business" section? Then combustion is controlled by fan? Which also blows the heat and smoke into the oven chamber? If you don't use all the fuel in a cook, assuming you can turn it off, stop the combustion and save the remainder?
Yes - There are 2 nice stainless steel slides that cut off air from the fan and into the cookbox snuffing out the fire. I do find it kind of cool that unburnt wood splits I use turn into charcoal because of the lack of O2.

I have more cookers than I should, including WSM's, MB Gravity, SmokeFire, Kettles, gas, M1, Ninja Woodfire (using it right now for ribs). Most of them deliver their own unique flavor but all of them are good. I usually choose my cooker based on my mood or desired convenience.

I have more cookers than I should, including WSM's, MB Gravity, SmokeFire, Kettles, gas, M1, Ninja Woodfire (using it right now for ribs). Most of them deliver their own unique flavor but all of them are good. I usually choose my cooker based on my mood or desired convenience.
Nice, but if you could only chose 1 plus the gasser. Which one would it be?

I'm trying to simplify. But, I have to say, I've seen a few for sale and I know there is some type of "mod" for the fire chamber to stop burn through. I've nearly been tempted more than once. But, I think I would end up in divorce court or maybe locked away in an institution by my wife :D

I'm trying to simplify. But, I have to say, I've seen a few for sale and I know there is some type of "mod" for the fire chamber to stop burn through. I've nearly been tempted more than once. But, I think I would end up in divorce court or maybe locked away in an institution by my wife :D
2 companies make a ton of "mods". I purchased the Klotes brand for about $100 and it is nice thick stainless that I expect to outlast the rest of the grill. That I think was the one real weak point of it and kind of why I wanted Weber to build one. Also if the controller ever goes I can buy a Fireboard that hooks up to it. https://klotesmods.com/collections/800-mods/products/firebox-mod-kit

The gravity feeds seem like a good idea. I think Weber will do something like the Spider Venom, charcoal with heat control.
I have a feeling Weber ends up buying them someday. Like they did iGrill and June for the SmokeFire.

Wait, what??

By nature pellets have way more flavor than gas could ever have! Gas literally adds nothing, it’s merely a source of heat.

That’s why folks used to run things like lava rocks, and why Genesis was such a breakthrough with the flavorizers. THAT’S where the limited flavor from gas comes from.

Let’s at least be realistic with our expectations eh?🤷🏻‍♂️

I am here to learn and read many threads.

A thread titled “Sorry” and the first sentence in the thread is:

At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks here, I'm going to call this Weber pellet grill fiasco for what it is...

I fail to see how this was intended for fun.

But this isn’t your first rodeo.
Where is it written that posts are required to be intended for fun?
Like 90% of the posts here, it was an observation and opinion. Perhaps not one you agree with but that's your choice.
I believe Weber makes solid outdoor cooking products and is likely the most recognized brand in that industry but that doesn't mean they always get it right. They certainly didn't seem to with the SmokeFire or they wouldn't be dropping the name and design as quickly as they did.
Weber has been a leader with outdoor cooking innovation and with many of their products they have knocked it out of the park. Kettle grills, Genesis and Spirit gas grills, WSM, WSK...all standouts in their respective categories. The SmokeFire was innovation that didn't work out so well.
Just my observation and opinion. No fun intended.

Back