Smoking Dad BBQ - ceramic Vs metal kamado

Paolo Wyatt

TVWBB Member
Hi all, hope everyone is well! I'm loving my WSK (the mother in law is arriving at the weekend and planning my first brisket on it!). I've got addicted to looking at BBQing videos/articles online and came across this from SmokingDadBBQ. He makes it out that the WSK is the worst kamado of the ones he's tested but seems crazy to me. Curious if people have any thoughts?!

I'll just say he's my least-favorite youtube pitmaster guy. I've found he makes fundamental errors in many of his tests. If you think what he says may have validity, I would urge you to do some more research. Don't take what he says at face value. MHO. Good luck.

I'll just say he's my least-favorite youtube pitmaster guy. I've found he makes fundamental errors in many of his tests. If you think what he says may have validity, I would urge you to do some more research. Don't take what he says at face value. MHO. Good luck.
Thanks Mark. I'm definitely not saying I think he's right. My main view comes from the amazing cooks I've done on my WSK. Just curious on what people think. Do you have any other YouTube people you follow that you'd recommend?

I think the information is probably valid in the tests just not the conclusions. I'd take that information and let inform how you cook on that particular grill. There are advantages, disadvantages to each one. I've kind of wondered why the WSK did away with the air gapped diffuser that came on the original unit. I would think it would perform better, but it's more expensive to build. The metal just isn't going to radiate as much heat down on the food, which is fine. If I were cooking brisket I'd go fat down on the WSK or use a water pan underneath it as a diffuser. The WSK is going to have advantages over the others like the fact you can actually lower the temp if you overshoot, you won't crack it, not as heavy, etc. I'd be interested to see how much air they move but he burned out the anemometer.

Hi all, hope everyone is well! I'm loving my WSK (the mother in law is arriving at the weekend and planning my first brisket on it!). I've got addicted to looking at BBQing videos/articles online and came across this from SmokingDadBBQ. He makes it out that the WSK is the worst kamado of the ones he's tested but seems crazy to me. Curious if people have any thoughts?!

He’s a total clown. Between him and Horsman, I choose which length toothpicks to push into my eyes.

I’d out cook him 10,000% any and everyday on the WSK versus whatever he’d choose to cook on. The guy is a total fool.

I think the information is probably valid in the tests just not the conclusions. I'd take that information and let inform how you cook on that particular grill. There are advantages, disadvantages to each one. I've kind of wondered why the WSK did away with the air gapped diffuser that came on the original unit. I would think it would perform better, but it's more expensive to build. The metal just isn't going to radiate as much heat down on the food, which is fine. If I were cooking brisket I'd go fat down on the WSK or use a water pan underneath it as a diffuser. The WSK is going to have advantages over the others like the fact you can actually lower the temp if you overshoot, you won't crack it, not as heavy, etc. I'd be interested to see how much air they move but he burned out the anemometer.
You are 100% correct. I have found some tougher spots on my briskets when cooked cap up due to too much heat radiating up to the brisket.

I do recco anyone use a water pan on LAS WSK briskets as it really helps deliver a near perfect final product.

I’ve cooked LAS at 215-245° for the first 6+ hours on a brisket with great results, with the water pan, and will then wrap once I’m out of the stall, usually 171/172° target temps. I’ll then crank to 275-300° to make the finish line and then a nice rest for my jello brisket.

I’ve posted about all my cook temp charts from my Signals so others can learn how a brisket cooks in the WSK. I hope this has helped others.

My last Passover 16 pound + brisket was done in 8 hours 21 minutes from start. It was a great brisket.

He’s a total clown. Between him and Horsman, I choose which length toothpicks to push into my eyes.

I’d out cook him 10,000% any and everyday on the WSK versus whatever he’d choose to cook on. The guy is a total fool.
And I bet you'd do it without all the goofy, add-ons...SloRoller, DoJo, Joetiserrie, etc...There's not one of those gimmicks either of those two clowns don't buy into.
As far as Kamados go, I think the WSK is WAY underrated. After owning three Akorns, having sold my last one 3 days ago, if I ever went back to a Kamado,(only if my pellet grill is a swing and a miss)
it'd be the WSK...hands down. Arguably the most practical and versatile outdoor cooker out there. But I found cooking on a kamado was more art than science and a 14 year learning curve was too long...but that's just my experience/opinion.
Seems BGE and Kamado Joe are pushing the gimmick kamado accessories for their heavy, overpriced grills and those two are shills for sponsorship or free stuff or whatever.

I concur with Brett, I e watched a handful of that guys vids and he’s about as clueless as one can get. I mean, REALLY bad.

I also concur with the point that the WSK is underrated, and woefully so. Now, I don’t know why, as it existed in its prior trim (Summit charcoal-which I have) during the Kamado craze which I feel has largely died off; those that got them bought them and either continue to use, have switched several times, or gotten out of Kamado cooking altogether. And it was generally cheaper than other ceramic options.

So, Weber de-contenting the Summit and rebranding as a cheaper (~$500 cheaper) Kamado was a good and necessary move. Since I’ve got the OG I’m a little partial haha.

I would challenge anyone that downplays the Weber offering. Try it. I bet you’ll change. But some just hold this belief that Kamado cooking HAS to be with ceramic.

Not only is the Summit/Kamado a killer cooker, but it’s easily my favorite and one of the best on the market, with almost no negatives about it, especially when compared to ceramics.

I still got with the idea of getting a Kamado. Or even a NOS Summit grill center. But….i dunno. They are just FANTASTIC cookers.

The Summit/Kamado is a true “Swiss army knife” of cookers, there isn’t a thing you cannot do on it.

And I bet you'd do it without all the goofy, add-ons...SloRoller, DoJo, Joetiserrie, etc
exactly. i've done some experimental cooks on my S6 and was and continue to be blown away by the WSKs ability to morph into many types of cookers.

one of my faves is cooking tri tips over live fire, real oak splits.

the WSK can handle just about any type and kind of cook and it can serve up any type of protein from delicate seafood to 20# briskets or full belly porchettas.

even pizza is more fun and i'm using a locally made steel that i spent $65 on.

there is a skill level needed for the WSK but it's not a high bar to achieve. i'd say it's just above a Performer.

the only thing i'm looking at adding right now for the new house/backyard, is a pizza oven. i've got my eye on Gozney. i'll make a move once the old house sells and i'm liquefied.

I’m looking to upgrade most of my gear after I juggle a few things around so I tried to watch one of his videos yesterday.
I couldn’t finish his video.
I can’t say I’m a fan.
I’m not a hater it just wasn’t worth spending my time on.

I am a long, long time Kamado user. I was using a BGE when virtually no one had even heard of a Kamado. Over the years, I've had a couple different ceramics, then added a Broil King Keg, and then my Summit S6. I would never go back to my ceramic Kamado. My S6 is the best overall grill I've ever had. (The Keg was an interesting grill - it really was a horrible smoker, but that thing sipped fuel...I could cook at 600 degrees for hours on a single load of lump - it was crazy! It was far too well insulated). I always found the design of the ceramics too DEEP, and not wide enough - vertical cooking when I wanted/needed horizontal space). I always watched for a PRIMO ceramic cheap - the oval shape would probably be ideal, but I found cracking issues too common with them.

One of SmokingDadBBQ's points (I've seen all his videos over the last few years) is that he tends to focus on that the ceramics are better at smoking - and I will agree with him on that aspect. My thought on that is the same reason I ALSO think the new Hunstman will also be a better smoker than the E6/S6 - they are less efficient and will produce a little better "blue" smoke. The same reason NONE of these grills are as good as stick burners (that are even LESS efficient) for smoking. That said, SmokingDadBBQ also rarely does any other type of serious grilling type comparisons and personally, I do FAR FAR more high temperature roasting cooks, direct/indirect grilling etc than I ever do pure smoking. Part of having the "best" grill is picking the one that is best for you! i.e. most of his comparisons are meaningless to me.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha.
I too have become somewhat of a YouTube snob when it comes to cooking.
One of my biggest pet peeve’s is when a person starts using cups and table spoons for baking recipes.
Don’t even get me started about “then wait a few hours for it to double in size at room temperature” 🤬.
Some of the BBQ talk ranks right down there as well.
Lazy or dumb talk drives me nuts.

That said,
I do try to keep an open mind and find useful info even from about any situation even if it is what not to do.

I am a long, long time Kamado user. I was using a BGE when virtually no one had even heard of a Kamado. Over the years, I've had a couple different ceramics, then added a Broil King Keg, and then my Summit S6. I would never go back to my ceramic Kamado. My S6 is the best overall grill I've ever had. (The Keg was an interesting grill - it really was a horrible smoker, but that thing sipped fuel...I could cook at 600 degrees for hours on a single load of lump - it was crazy! It was far too well insulated). I always found the design of the ceramics too DEEP, and not wide enough - vertical cooking when I wanted/needed horizontal space). I always watched for a PRIMO ceramic cheap - the oval shape would probably be ideal, but I found cracking issues too common with them.

One of SmokingDadBBQ's points (I've seen all his videos over the last few years) is that he tends to focus on that the ceramics are better at smoking - and I will agree with him on that aspect. My thought on that is the same reason I ALSO think the new Hunstman will also be a better smoker than the E6/S6 - they are less efficient and will produce a little better "blue" smoke. The same reason NONE of these grills are as good as stick burners (that are even LESS efficient) for smoking. That said, SmokingDadBBQ also rarely does any other type of serious grilling type comparisons and personally, I do FAR FAR more high temperature roasting cooks, direct/indirect grilling etc than I ever do pure smoking. Part of having the "best" grill is picking the one that is best for you! i.e. most of his comparisons are meaningless to me.
Really interesting, thanks Grant. Why are the ceramics better at smoking out of interest? I totally agree the flexibility of the WSK is amazing - quick skirt steak, roast a chicken, reverse sear a big rib eye, smoke a brisket. All amazing

Back