How often do you use your ______ appliance?

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
I was thinking of all the specialty appliances we have all bought over the years. Just wondering how often you drag out your Griddler, air fryer, pressure cooker, stand mixer, toaster oven, food processor or any other you think of. I was going to make burgers for the two of us tomorrow and was thinking about letting the Cuisinart Griddler see daylight for the first time in months rather than use the grill for just two burgers.

Toaster oven almost every day some times more than once a day. no air fryer, I have 2 Instant pots and use them both especially making bone broth and chili, Mixer about twice a month for bread or pizza, Vitamix more in summer for smoothies, food processor as needed.

Toaster oven, stand mixer... lives on the counter for frequent use
Instant Pot... on the shelf but used fairly regularly
Food processor... on the shelf and if someone took it I wouldn't notice
Ronco Rotisserie... on the shelf, use once in a blue moon but I'm very fond of it
Rice cooker... I'm horrible at making rice, so I use the auto cooker regularly
Bread machine... making bread with my own two hands is enjoyable but I don't often do it, so I appreciate having the machine

I would use a grill to cook 1 burger.

Besides my oven, microwave, air fryer, coffee machine and grills, I don't see a need for much more than that.
I agree.....
My sous vide however barely ever gets used......
I don't have fancy appliances......no room is the easy reason.
I would fire up the grill for one burger as well.

My wife came home with this thing out of the blue and completely unannounced (kinda like I do with grills now that I think about it). Anyways, I was totally against it from the moment I saw it and refused to even learn how to use the thing. It’s been 2 years now and we (meaning she) uses it at least 2-3X a week. It cooks a killer potato of almost any type from baked to home fries to tots & french fries. In all honesty, it cooks a burger or pork chop on par with what I can turn out on the Q and does it all with zero babysitting. Fried chicken has never been easier or less of a mess as well. It’s her appliance and I still don’t know how to use it based on dumb pride only. I’ll even admit to being a little torqued over just now finding out how much it cost while searching for a pic to snip. Regardless, once again she was right and I was wrong. For something I thought we’d never use, it has become a staple in our home.

IMG_0687.jpeg

KA stand mixer - around 4x+ a month - meat grinding, pizza dough, desserts, cakes
food processor - 2-3x a month or more, depending on which month
stick blender - 4-6 times a month
blendtec blender - 2-3 times a week
wsk - 3-4x a week
regular convection oven (air crisp) - maybe once a week or 3-4 times a month

that's all i own for small appliances besides a toaster, not toaster oven.

My wife came home with this thing out of the blue and completely unannounced (kinda like I do with grills now that I think about it). Anyways, I was totally against it from the moment I saw it and refused to even learn how to use the thing. It’s been 2 years now and we (meaning she) uses it at least 2-3X a week. It cooks a killer potato of almost any type from baked to home fries to tots & french fries. In all honesty, it cooks a burger or pork chop on par with what I can turn out on the Q and does it all with zero babysitting. Fried chicken has never been easier or less of a mess as well. It’s her appliance and I still don’t know how to use it based on dumb pride only. I’ll even admit to being a little torqued over just now finding out how much it cost while searching for a pic to snip. Regardless, once again she was right and I was wrong. For something I thought we’d never use, it has become a staple in our home.
I'm a huge fan of Ninja. One of a few items we have is the Woodfire Pro XL outdoor grill and I love it.

Air fryer...Gone never really liked the way food came out of it.
Three different slow cookers, a lot in the winter, zippo in the summer unless used just to keep food warm.
Instant Pot, my new best friend, used a lot a real time saver.
Binford 2000 food mixer (Kitchen Aid stand mixer) Now that Barb doesn't do a lot of baking it's a shelf queen, used a couple of times a year. Shes had it over 40 years it ain't going anywhere.
Keurig coffee maker, maybe three times a month or so. Just use our regular 14 cup Coffee pot most of the time.
Meat grinder a few times a month, mostly to grind hamburger.
Meat slicer as needed 5-6 times a year. Almost makes slicing 20 lbs. of bacon fun.

Our toaster oven is a large one that has convection, air-frying, dehydrating, and dough proofing functions. It gets used almost every day, sometimes several times a day.
Mixer? 3-4 times per week; the blender jar is an attachment, and it gets used a couple times a month.
Food processor: 3-4 times a month. Spice grinder, couple of times a month. Crock pot - roughly once a week.

That's pretty much it for our small kitchen appliances (other than the microwave). Anything we don't use, we get rid of - life's too short for clutter.

Daily use
  • Microwave
  • Coffee Maker
  • Coffee Grinder
Several times per week
  • Two slice Toaster
  • Toaster Oven
At least Once a month
  • Instant Air Fryer
  • Ninja Bullet Blender
  • Kitchenaid mixer
  • Waffle Maker
  • Pizza Oven
at least once every three months
  • Cuisinart food processor
  • Waring Pro Blender ( more often in summer )
  • Immersion Blender
  • Meat Slicer
  • Sous Vide
Rarely if ever used
  • Hand Mixer
  • Air Popper
  • Pasta rolling machine

Last edited:
We use the pressure cooker, Instant Pot, 2 or 3 times a week during the winter and probably once a week the rest of the year. Great for beans, chili, stew, and making yogurt, just to name a few things. The stand mixer is next in line for most often used. I bake a lot of bread. We use the toaster oven to reheat leftovers, bake garlic bread and to cook casseroles and meatloaf. The food processor is used at least once a week. Miriam uses it for pastries, and I use it to make sandwich spreads like chicken salad and potted beef and to grind small amounts of meat for burgers when I don't feel like breaking out the grinder. We've also have a rotating electric pizza oven that is used all year round, a spice grinder and a blender that are used on occasion. Miriam uses the bread maker once a month or so, usually just for the mixing, kneading and proofing.

We aren't into premade meals or food out of a can. Even though we're usually just cooking for 2, we take the time to prepare a good meal and the small appliances save time and effort both for prep and reheating.

So our air fryer is a "multi-tasker" It's one of those Ninja ones that's a toaster, an oven, an air fryer, and IDK how many other things and when not in use it flips up and takes up very little counter. So it gets used almost every day (but not necessarily as an air fryer). Our mixers multiple times per month I got wife the KA Commercial hand mixer (powerful little beast and so quiet), and the large 8qt Commercial. So she uses those things pretty often. Our food processors a few times a month. I use the baby Cuisinart for small batch stuff and the large KitchenAid for larger batches. We don't have a blender (gave it to a friend), my pressure cookers do multiple duties since they're also regular stove top pans, and put the pressure lid on and they pressure cook. In winter I use them a lot. But I use them to make rice a lot. Mostly because I don't know how to make rice in a regular pan (don't laugh). We have a Cuisinart stick blender I use a lot. Coffee and espresso machines every day, grinder every AM as well. I think that is the gamut of "specialty" appliances we own

This was actually an interesting exercise, and may help me thin the herd a bit! :) The list, of course, does not include grill usage, for obvious reasons! :)

Daily
Espresso machine
Aeropress
Toaster
Microwave

Weekly
Dough mixer (not a KitchenAid....)
Pizza Oven
Air Fryer
Instant Pot
Blackstone Griddle
Marcato Pasta Roller
Food Processor
Immersion/Stick Blender

Less often than once a week
Meat Grinder (every other month or so)
Sausage Stuffer (twice a year)
Meat Slicer (once a quarter)
Tortilla Press (once a month or more)
Sous Vide (once a month)

Last edited:
I use my instant pot at least 1 x per 2 weeks. More in the winter, less when it's warm outside. Airfryer about once a week. Wifey is using the airfryer once in a while when she cooks.

Gas grill, not used in 6 months. WSM, used 4 or 5 times a year. WSK used at least 1 x per week when the weather is clear. Outdoor gas fired pizza oven used 5 ot 6 x last year, hopefully using it a little more this year. I use my thermapen all the time, and use my T works smoke consistenlty when smoking/roasting larger cuts.

Stick blender 4 to 6 x per year. Stand mixer 6 to 8 x per year for pizza dough.

I have a kuerig that is used everyday when I'm home. I have a mocha pot that I'm messing with for "better coffee" but I'm still learning how to use it, I've used it 8 to 10 times in the last 3 or 4 months.

Pitcher/blender used 3 or 4 x per year. Big food processor, 3 or 4 x per year. Mini food processor 6 to 8 x per year.

Waffle iron - hasn't been touched in a year. Cuisinart panini press/grill, untouched for at least 2 years. The airfryer took the panini presses space on our countertop. We don't have room for both. I will likely give the panini press to my son for his college apartment.

Beer fridge in the basement usually has beer in it., my wife deposits the beer once a week or so and I make withdrawals almost every day

About the only thing I can think of that we have is the InstaPot. We use it a few times a month. DW likes it for making rice and a few side dishes like potatoes and carrots. This will change a bit because summer is upon us, but a speciality item I like pulling out are our enameled Dutch ovens. The round one we use a lot to make soups and the large oval one is for pot roast. It’s a good day when those come out. Most of our cooking is on the stove, in the oven or on the grill. Microwave is used sparingly - mostly just to warm leftovers. We don’t cook with it.

Toaster Oven: Daily
Microwave: Few times a week
Oven: Weekly
Instant Pot: Couple times a year
Rice cooker: At least weekly
Slow cooker: Almost never
Air Popper: Almost never
Hand Blender: Couldn't tell you the last time
Blender: Once or twice a year
Stand Mixer: Every couple months
Sous vide: Used to use it a lot, but now every couple months
Ninja 'mini blender': still in the box it came in 🤣
I think we might have a waffle iron too. I really need to thin the herd. 😳

Last edited:
Chemex coffee pot: Daily
Moka pot: 1-3 times a week
Air Fryer: 1-3 times a week
Blackstone griddle: 1-2 times a week
Rice cooker: 3-4 times a month
Sous Vide: It's feast of famine with this thing....can't imagine not having it
Microwave: Few times a week
Stand Mixer: Never...but wifey uses it a few times a month
Blender: once/twice a year
Stick Blender: a few times a year
Slow cooker: 3-4 times per month
Waffle Iron: a few times a year
Assorted Grills and smokers: All the time

Well, to answer my own post, I dug the Griddler out of the basement. Actually made a couple pretty good burgers for me and my wife. The pretzel buns added to the good experience. It was quick and easy, but the cleanup afterwards is a bit of a downer. Maybe some day I will make a grilled cheese.

Back