Considering Genesis Smart Grill. Some questions.

That is a crazy good deal on that 435 @MikeLucky!! Plus, it actually seems like last year’s models were better!!

I too am thinking half grill/half griddle might be my full-time setup. It’s the one reason I’ve been contemplating going up to the 4 burner. However, besides being more than I prefer to spend, I just don’t like the look of the stainless lid and that’s the only “color” in stock at Ace. Of course, for $412 I’d learn to live with it. 😁

I can still imagine it. You went to the store and bought something. You were happy with it because you didn't know any better. In a way, ignorance was bliss.
I guess the upshot of all theses variations is a cool indigo blue version of the Summit with 9mm SS grates for $899. 😁

That is a crazy good deal on that 435 @MikeLucky!! Plus, it actually seems like last year’s models were better!!

I too am thinking half grill/half griddle might be my full-time setup. It’s the one reason I’ve been contemplating going up to the 4 burner. However, besides being more than I prefer to spend, I just don’t like the look of the stainless lid and that’s the only “color” in stock at Ace. Of course, for $412 I’d learn to live with it. 😁
Oh, I got a black one. Lol at the price I paid I would have almost taken any color.
PXL_20240126_204140890.jpg

Longtime Q200 user here, family size went +1 a couple years ago and the Q just doesn't have the room to hold our whole dinner anymore, at least without breaking it into a few rounds on the grill.

Like OP, I'm trying to make sense of all the changes to the Genesis lineup this year... I'm used to CI grates, and historically have preferred them to steel. Not critical, but I also appreciate the idea of the large digital temp readout. Used one last summer at a rental and really felt like it was a nice feature, easier to see from across the patio. Was grilling a combo of meat, halumi cheese, kale, lemons, bread, etc., so temp was important to nail.

I have a standalone butane burner, but I do also think the idea of a built-in that I don't have to deal with rummaging for fuel cans would be a benefit. Again, not critical but nice to have.

Finally, really like the idea of interior lights, the way the grill is positioned on our deck leaves it in dark shadows during spring and fall.

As such, I was turned on to the idea of the EPX-335, but sadly, saw this go closeout. Understand you can add the light bar afterwards, so have been looking at the EX-335 instead. Looks like that's gone closeout too.

Does anyone know what Weber's plan is for future models? Right now all I can find is the SX-335, or some of the models without smart connect and/or side burner.

I'm happy to scour to find a closeout EPX or EX, but wondering if Weber has something new coming later this year to backfill for the EPX/EX. I'm not in a critical rush.

Seems like it would be odd for them to release anything new at this point in the year. But, I don’t really have a sense of their cadence for releasing new models.

What’s you budget?

Seems like it would be odd for them to release anything new at this point in the year. But, I don’t really have a sense of their cadence for releasing new models.

What’s you budget?
It's a fair question. $1700 retail felt a little high for the EPX but the closeout price around $1400 felt a little more reasonable. I suppose a "flexible" budget is most accurate, just really didn't want to invest in a clearance model if something new were coming around the corner. My old Q200 just got a new burner tube and can hold us over for a while, and can of course always fall back on the kettle for one-off larger parties. Albeit less convenient.

Here's the ad from Ace showing the E-325 same as mine. No SS grates but the Indigo is a cool color and the sear burner is a must. The CI grates are holding up fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506-140053.png
    Screenshot_20240506-140053.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 7
Weber has different models for the big box stores and different models for dealers. The base model, no stainless parts, is at the big box stores. Weber dealers have models with stainless or upgraded parts and colors.
It was that way over 20 years ago when I bought my first Weber. The dealer had the Silver B with all stainless guts and an extra flip up table. Could not get those feature at the mass marketers. It was worth the difference.

@Dave Lemoine, it looks like Weber has replaced several of the Weber Genesis models that were released in 2022 with a “new” version.They are using the same model numbers, so it’s hard to track what’s what.

From what I can tell, the models marked as new are priced lower, have a smaller top grate, more cheaply made doors, and smaller right side table. I also think that maybe more of the new models have the LED handle lights. I was in an Ace store today, and the doors on the new versions felt flimsier. I took a picture of each and attached here.

Here are two links to Ace, both labeled as SP-E-335. The easiest way to tell the difference, I think, is that the older versions have silver door handles.

In my opinion, if you want the smart version with LED handle, try to find someplace that has one of those EPX-335 models still in stock. If a replacement is coming, assuming the SP-E-335 is representative, then the new EPX-335 is likely to have some downgrades, albeit probably at a cheaper price.

Attachments

• PXL_20240506_221011222.jpeg
    PXL_20240506_221011222.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240506_221020597.jpeg
    PXL_20240506_221020597.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 8
So, I’m still stuck on thinking I want the 4-burner model so I can leave it in more of a half grill, half griddle as my full-time setup. I found a store today that had an E-435 in stock in black. But, at $1,399, it’s definitely more than I had hoped to spend. Plus, knowing that lucky Mike got that same grill for $412 is just killing me. 🤪

So, I’m still stuck on thinking I want the 4-burner model so I can leave it in more of a half grill, half griddle as my full-time setup. I found a store today that had an E-435 in stock in black. But, at $1,399, it’s definitely more than I had hoped to spend. Plus, knowing that lucky Mike got that same grill for $412 is just killing me. 🤪
Sorry. Didn't mean to be a mood killer. Lol. I'll say this, every time I use the grill I like it more and more. And, I love the idea of the half and half griddle and grill, full time. I still might land there with mine.

Here's the ad from Ace showing the E-325 same as mine. No SS grates but the Indigo is a cool color and the sear burner is a must. The CI grates are holding up fine.
Oh...the other Ace exclusive besides the Indigo color was the motion activated LED light on the lid handle. It's actually pretty handy for grilling in the Winter. I think they sell for $35 or so.

I recently got an E-435 on a crazy sale from Lowe's since it was last year's model.

View attachment 89769

Had to bring it home in pieces in my SUV because there was no way I wasn't buying it at that price. lol

It came with the cast grates but SS parts below the grates.

View attachment 89770

But, I definitely prefer the SS grates and got my 9mm ones here.

View attachment 89771

I do like the option of the Crafted half griddle but haven't seen if the Crafted grate fits on the left side. I would rather use it there instead of over the sear zone side. But, I have a standalone griddle so haven't dug too deep on that option. But, the thought has crossed my mind to have the Genesis setup as half griddle and half grill full time. Only problem with that is the grease trap situation when using the griddle. At times it's a lot of grease to roll down the inside of the Genesis and into the small catch pan, whereas the standalone griddle has a nice large grease pan and cleaner way to deal with it.

But, this Genesis is a damn afterburner when it needs to be. Got it to almost 700 for my reverse seared tomahawk the other day. As much as I prefer charcoal grilling, this beast actually makes it worth using when I want to. Very, very good grill.

View attachment 89772

View attachment 89773

View attachment 89774
My Silver C would have been on Facebook for $100 bucks if I could have got that deal. Back to N/S which I always preferred. I could care less about the color with that kind of deal.

@Dave Lemoine, it looks like Weber has replaced several of the Weber Genesis models that were released in 2022 with a “new” version.They are using the same model numbers, so it’s hard to track what’s what.

From what I can tell, the models marked as new are priced lower, have a smaller top grate, more cheaply made doors, and smaller right side table. I also think that maybe more of the new models have the LED handle lights. I was in an Ace store today, and the doors on the new versions felt flimsier. I took a picture of each and attached here.

Here are two links to Ace, both labeled as SP-E-335. The easiest way to tell the difference, I think, is that the older versions have silver door handles.

In my opinion, if you want the smart version with LED handle, try to find someplace that has one of those EPX-335 models still in stock. If a replacement is coming, assuming the SP-E-335 is representative, then the new EPX-335 is likely to have some downgrades, albeit probably at a cheaper price.
Good intel, especially on the doors, thank you!

Couldn't find an EPX, so I ended up pulling the trigger on the EX-335 (I think 2023 model) for $1250. Aside from the internal lighting, checks all the boxes including the cast iron grates out of the box. At some point if I feel like the internal lighting is critical I'll try to grab the part and add later (https://www.grillspot.com/weber-oem-stainless-steel-nightvision-lid-handle-64431).

Was wavering between the 3 and 4-burner, in particular to provide a nice griddle that I could leave in place full-time, but ultimately decided the 4-burner was just too wide for the spot where it'll live on my deck. I'll convert my old Q to be a griddle (with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Safbbcue-Griddle-Weber-53060001-54060001/dp/B0BGRC6CT9?tag=tvwb-20) that I can pull out of the garage whenever smash burgers are on the menu.

Appreciate all the feedback folks!!

Couldn't find an EPX, so I ended up pulling the trigger on the EX-335 (I think 2023 model) for $1250. Aside from the internal lighting, checks all the boxes including the cast iron grates out of the box. At some point if I feel like the internal lighting is critical I'll try to grab the part and add later (https://www.grillspot.com/weber-oem-stainless-steel-nightvision-lid-handle-64431).

Was wavering between the 3 and 4-burner, in particular to provide a nice griddle that I could leave in place full-time, but ultimately decided the 4-burner was just too wide for the spot where it'll live on my deck. I'll convert my old Q to be a griddle (with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Safbbcue-Griddle-Weber-53060001-54060001/dp/B0BGRC6CT9?tag=tvwb-20) that I can pull out of the garage whenever smash burgers are on the menu.

What will your first cook be ?

btw, I use a lodge CI griddle on the sear burner side of my E330. it works great.

1715178341620.png

Shoulda gone to Costco. Just got back from mine they have a bunch of the Genesis II grills 4 burner with a Sear burner. $1100. Not a fan at all of them (new Genesis) but for that unit seemed like a good deal

Nice! Seems like the EX-335 is in short supply too.

Maybe one advantage of the new models is that they are an about 4” shorter. Not sure if this is true for the 4 burner models though.

I saw one of these lights on a grill at Ace, and it seemed to work okay. Turned on and off automatically as you raised/lowered the lid. A fair bit cheaper than buying the full handle.

I plan my first griddle cook to be my first ever attempt at a smash burger. 😁

Back