Beef jerky, third times a charm

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
Got a jag on to make beef jerky. Surfed around the web for some recipes. Found two I wanted to try. One was Dr Pepper based and the other was bourbon. Bought one eye of round and split between the two recipes. Might have been good but I over smoked them both. See note below. Yesterday, I tried, for the third time, using a recipe from Brett Roundy from this web site. Thanks Brett. Came out great. I made one change. I thought the recipe was a little too soy forward for my taste so I added some Jack Black. Great. Here are a couple of pix.

Note: for the novice smokers out there, as I consider myself. When you're smoking jerky, unlike a brisket, pork butt, ribs, etc. there is a LOT more surface area to absorb the smoke. I hadn't given that a thought on my first try. I used apple for both. Second time I only used one chunk. It was a difference maker.

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_144244.jpg
    IMG_20230326_144244.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230322_114117.jpg
    20230322_114117.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 15
That looks really good John.
I like the way it almost looks chewy, that’s my preferred texture.
You‘re right about over smoking it too.

I haven’t done it in years and I might even still be able to find the recipe.
The best smoked smoked jerky I've had comes out of a regular kitchen oven using skirt steak, your usual spices, a dash of some liquid smoke and a spoon to hold the oven door from closing all the way on its lowest setting.

I‘ve never been able to make smoked jerky on a bbq/smoker.
I tried several times and it was never good so I asked a friend of mine that knows how to cook and she taught me this kitchen way.
I haven’t tried to do it any other way since the mid 1980’s.

Yours looks good enough for me to try it outside again.

Back