Aftermarket PID controller settings

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Wizard
Been pretty happy overall after upgrading to the new PID controller in my old Traeger last July. It's taken a lot longer to come up to temperature since then but keeps a much tighter rein once it does. Even a bit tighter since @LMichaels tip to forget foiling the drip tray. It does make a difference. With the original controller it always performed well from 225 to 350 degrees F. so I stuck to that range and hadn't use the Smoke setting for several years. The new controller has 2 options for cooking surface size and a setting to adjusting the readout so it matches the actual temperature at the center of the grate. As per usual I've stuck to the temperature range used with the original controller with good results, outside of the slow initial heating up.

After doing a routine cleaning last week, decided to try the setting for larger cooking surfaces as mine is just a couple of sq. inches below the break point. Voila! It heats up a lot faster now and still keeps a tight rein on temperature. Figured I'd try the Smoke setting and see what it would do with the new controller. It has an exposed button for the "P" setting, making it easy to play around with. Found that it produces plenty of smoke on a "P" setting of 5 (default is 2). Another big plus for the PID controller.

Will be doing a slab of spares and some hot links this afternoon to see how it does on a cook. If it does as well as expected, will be using it a lot more for low & slow.
PID Controller kit.jpg

So what kind of controller is that Bob? Does it have the remote functionality? As this has been the "Holy Grail" I have been pursuing for my Member's Mark. Honestly the stock controller on it works like a champ. It locks temps in tight as a drum. Even when double checked by a 2nd and or 3rd thermometer.
The only reason I am researching controllers is for the Bluetooth/WIFI control capability. So many times on smaller but still longer term cooks I would LOVE to use the MM, but can't because I know will need to be away from the house and I will lose that "control". So I press BigZ into service. And, while I love Big Z many times I find it's not the best choice due to it's cavernous size.
So my quest for a solid PID with BT/WIFI is ongoing and so far unsuccessful

So what kind of controller is that Bob? Does it have the remote functionality? As this has been the "Holy Grail" I have been pursuing for my Member's Mark. Honestly the stock controller on it works like a champ. It locks temps in tight as a drum. Even when double checked by a 2nd and or 3rd thermometer.
The only reason I am researching controllers is for the Bluetooth/WIFI control capability. So many times on smaller but still longer term cooks I would LOVE to use the MM, but can't because I know will need to be away from the house and I will lose that "control". So I press BigZ into service. And, while I love Big Z many times I find it's not the best choice due to it's cavernous size.
So my quest for a solid PID with BT/WIFI is ongoing and so far unsuccessful
It's an aftermarket kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B12KPQKL/?tag=tvwb-20 No Bluetooth/WIFI. Don't need them and don't want them. It pretty much emulates the Traeger Pro controller.

Hey Bob, just installed my new PID controller in my Camp Chef to replace the non PID it came with today. It's also Non WiFi. What a difference! Got two chickens on the CC and it's staying within 8 degrees of the 325 I set it for. Monitor the grill and cook temp remotely with my Smoke.

This is the one I tried https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9GSP2W7/?tag=tvwb-20 but it was really "wonky". Caused a burn back in my auger, did not regulate correctly. Sadly I bought it but could not try it out until it was too late to return it. So, IDK if it's simply a faulty one or what.
The first one I received didn't even make it through the first startup. Definitely a defect. Second one is great. No complaints and everything I wanted.

Hey Bob, just installed my new PID controller in my Camp Chef to replace the non PID it came with today. It's also Non WiFi. What a difference! Got two chickens on the CC and it's staying within 8 degrees of the 325 I set it for. Monitor the grill and cook temp remotely with my Smoke.
Nice that we can upgrade to most of the latest and greatest functions for a lot less than just replacing the controller with OE.

Been pretty happy overall after upgrading to the new PID controller in my old Traeger last July. It's taken a lot longer to come up to temperature since then but keeps a much tighter rein once it does. Even a bit tighter since @LMichaels tip to forget foiling the drip tray. It does make a difference. With the original controller it always performed well from 225 to 350 degrees F. so I stuck to that range and hadn't use the Smoke setting for several years. The new controller has 2 options for cooking surface size and a setting to adjusting the readout so it matches the actual temperature at the center of the grate. As per usual I've stuck to the temperature range used with the original controller with good results, outside of the slow initial heating up.

After doing a routine cleaning last week, decided to try the setting for larger cooking surfaces as mine is just a couple of sq. inches below the break point. Voila! It heats up a lot faster now and still keeps a tight rein on temperature. Figured I'd try the Smoke setting and see what it would do with the new controller. It has an exposed button for the "P" setting, making it easy to play around with. Found that it produces plenty of smoke on a "P" setting of 5 (default is 2). Another big plus for the PID controller.

Will be doing a slab of spares and some hot links this afternoon to see how it does on a cook. If it does as well as expected, will be using it a lot more for low & slow.
View attachment 89968
Supper's on!

Everything turned out great. First low & slow ribs I've done in ages.Spares.jpg

Beans & hot links.jpg

The first one I received didn't even make it through the first startup. Definitely a defect. Second one is great. No complaints and everything I wanted.
Oh, you ordered the same WIFI one as well? Did you have the same issues I had? Temps climbing way past set point, fan control issues and such? My temps were all over the place. I even tried it's "matching" RTD same result. Would be interested to know if your experience was similar. It's cheap enough that I would buy another, if it's a good "gamble" BTW the dinner looks GREAT!

Oh, you ordered the same WIFI one as well? Did you have the same issues I had? Temps climbing way past set point, fan control issues and such? My temps were all over the place. I even tried it's "matching" RTD same result. Would be interested to know if your experience was similar. It's cheap enough that I would buy another, if it's a good "gamble" BTW the dinner looks GREAT!
No. The first one was the same as the one I'm using now. Just a defect. The grill ran for about 2 minutes and then everything went dead. No problem getting a replacement. It shipped faster than the first one.

No. The first one was the same as the one I'm using now. Just a defect. The grill ran for about 2 minutes and then everything went dead. No problem getting a replacement. It shipped faster than the first one.
OK thanks for the info.
I may order another and give it a whirl. Worst case I send it back

Back