Thinking About Espresso

Well I stumbled onto this product this AM. And the tests on it point to a REALLY outstanding product and price point. So checked Amazon and $139! So, I'm like save $100? Sure! So in my cart it went and ordered. I will likely not even open the KA. Apparently all the online "pundits" say it's basically the DeLonghi Dedica in different clothing and with mods to make it better. IDK. We shall see

Well I stumbled onto this product this AM. And the tests on it point to a REALLY outstanding product and price point. So checked Amazon and $139! So, I'm like save $100? Sure! So in my cart it went and ordered. I will likely not even open the KA. Apparently all the online "pundits" say it's basically the DeLonghi Dedica in different clothing and with mods to make it better. IDK. We shall see

I went to the link, then closed Chrome after getting a little excited. Then went back later and searched "bottomless portafilter" in the questions... and dang you, Larry.

I expect your normal “raw” truth review as soon as possible!
Not to worry. It will be raw truth. Though, understand I am not really knowledgeable on this subject. Gleaning everything from what I learn from you folks, online research, and my son in law. He has one of these along with the same Breville grinder I bought. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes840.html
Now recently I came upon an ad on FB Marketplace. And the more I learned about the Infuser the more I thought it would be a nice machine for me to learn the craft on. But NOT for $600! So found that ad and guy is asking $225 bottom price. Machine looks very nice and matches my KitchenAid Commercial Red Mixer.
Told him I would arrive with cash in my hands, and could he simply demo the machine for me? He responds "what do you want a Mocha?" I said no, just turn it on, show me it heats up and runs water through so I know it's not a DOA" He responds "I don't have time for this" "It is what it is you either buy it or don't it's worth the $225 as parts alone"
WTH is up with that?! Anyway I passed. I sent him a link to my web site, assured him I was no jokester". I passed. I thanked him for his time and told him if he changes his mind to contact me.

Larry, I'd have passed on it too. it seems reasonable to walk an item through basic settings.

when I sold my pellet grill I wanted to show the buyer it worked before he loaded it. I plugged it in, primed it, let the burn pot fire up and rolled through a handful of the settings to show the controller wasn't borked. I even tossed in half bag of pellets for him.

They guy buying it joked he should have brought something to smoke on it.

Larry, I'd have passed on it too. it seems reasonable to walk an item through basic settings.

when I sold my pellet grill I wanted to show the buyer it worked before he loaded it. I plugged it in, primed it, let the burn pot fire up and rolled through a handful of the settings to show the controller wasn't borked. I even tossed in half bag of pellets for him.

They guy buying it joked he should have brought something to smoke on it.
I am the same way. Last thing I want someone to do is pick up a machine from me they have not seen or heard run. I know on remote sales it's hard to do, but I at least try to send a video. IDK what this guy is trying to pawn off. It might be fine but sorry I don't have $225 burning a hole in my pocket to just toss in the garbage.
I am a bit "miffed" as I was really hoping to have that on my counter. But, my counter does not need an expensive paper weight

Not to worry. It will be raw truth. Though, understand I am not really knowledgeable on this subject. Gleaning everything from what I learn from you folks, online research, and my son in law. He has one of these along with the same Breville grinder I bought. https://www.breville.com/us/en/products/espresso/bes840.html
Now recently I came upon an ad on FB Marketplace. And the more I learned about the Infuser the more I thought it would be a nice machine for me to learn the craft on. But NOT for $600! So found that ad and guy is asking $225 bottom price. Machine looks very nice and matches my KitchenAid Commercial Red Mixer.
Told him I would arrive with cash in my hands, and could he simply demo the machine for me? He responds "what do you want a Mocha?" I said no, just turn it on, show me it heats up and runs water through so I know it's not a DOA" He responds "I don't have time for this" "It is what it is you either buy it or don't it's worth the $225 as parts alone"
WTH is up with that?! Anyway I passed. I sent him a link to my web site, assured him I was no jokester". I passed. I thanked him for his time and told him if he changes his mind to contact me.
Spot on...and FBMP is fast becoming Craigslist as it relates to fraud and clowns. Brand new Webers for $89. Brand new Craftsman lawnmowers $79. The whole, " is it still available?" scamming.

I am the same way. Last thing I want someone to do is pick up a machine from me they have not seen or heard run. I know on remote sales it's hard to do, but I at least try to send a video. IDK what this guy is trying to pawn off. It might be fine but sorry I don't have $225 burning a hole in my pocket to just toss in the garbage.
I am a bit "miffed" as I was really hoping to have that on my counter. But, my counter does not need an expensive paper weight
Well, the seller sounds like a class “A” putz, he can keep his amazing deal! If he’s yellin’ he ain’t selling’ to me neither! Jerk!

Well, the seller sounds like a class “A” putz, he can keep his amazing deal! If he’s yellin’ he ain’t selling’ to me neither! Jerk!
Yeah, that's what my SIL and brother said yesterday. In any case he can shove it where the sun don't shine on his beans. The Casabrews 5418 is supposed to be delivered today. I'll set it up and give it a whirl. If I don't like it, it'll go back and I will use the KitchenAid. In many ways I would kinda like the KA better perhaps. I got the color that matches our KA Commercial mixer, so I could put them side by side on the cart or counter and they'll look good, and some things I don't know enough about to know if or how much difference they would make to me. The KA has 58mm portafilter vs 51 on the Casabrews (though this point has not seemed to bother anyone heaping praise on DeLonghi machines. Also the KA comes with both pressurized and non pressurized baskets. Again something I don't know enough about and apparently can be upgraded on the Casabrews since it uses basically the same stuff as DeLonghi (and a few others out there).
We shall see what we shall see

The expensive price is hard to swallow for sure but I paid approximately 1/2 price for a returned unit, still damn expensive though.
After owning superautomatics for quite a few years, if I were to divide the cost of the unit by the amount of coffee drinks served it is easier to justify. Or compare the savings to going to Starbucks every day. The real benefit is the quality of coffee drinks it produces. The coffee purists will put down the superautomatics because of lack of control (like a manual stick shift car vs automatic) but I am lazy.

Below is a picture of a shot of expresso:

View attachment 86539
It’s still ESPRESSO, sorry that grammatical error is almost as irritating to me as “Expescially”! Sweet heaven above, it just grinds me!

OK, well both machines came. I tried the Casabrews. Actually impressed with the build quality. Very solid. There are things I have to learn about/understand. For one thing it comes only with pressurized baskets. IDK anything about them. Supposedly better using non pressurized if you grind your own. The portafilter has a little groove cut in where a little "dimple" fits in to lock it in. IDK if this is standard or not. My SIL says his Breville presses in, and he has to pry it out. Mine slips in and you rotate. You rotate again to line up groove and it slips out.
I ordered a standard one non pressurized. Cheap enough if it doesn't work I don't care. Then I may send the unit back and go to the KA unit. Which uses 58mm and has both pressurized and non pressurized depending on need.
I did try a quick double shot brew. It did a very nice job. lots of crema on it. I goofed around a little with the steam wand. That thing is crazy powerful. That will take some practice. Then once you use it you have to flush quite a bit of water through the boiler to cool it down.
One other thing I am unsure of is it seems to brew quite a bit cooler than a drip machine. Water/coffee in the cup about 175. Normal?

Back