Searwood instead of Genesis?

Glad to hear positive feedback about the Ace assembly. 🙂
I’d still download the BILT app and go through all the steps to build it. A) you’ll understand the smoker and its parts better and B) double check they built it right.
The BILT app has made putting Webers together so easy.

I currently have an 18” WSM and a Kenmore that’s looking a little ragged. I had been planning to treat myself to a new Genesis to replace the Kenmore. Among other things, I was excited to add the Weber griddle insert to my cooking capabilities.

Now, after seeing some of the recent Searwood reviews, I’ve been thinking I might go this direction instead of the new gas grill.

Seems like I could do most everything I had planned for the gas grill with the Searwood, but tastier with pellets rather than gas.

Anyone have any thoughts on a new Searwood vs a new Genesis?
My experience only.

I have a Summit Charcoal as my main grill. I have a 300 series Genesis. I sold my Smokefire in Feb. and got the Searwood 3 weeks ago. My Searwood has seen more action in those 3 weeks than my gas grill has in the last 2 years, and I grill 2-3 times a week.

When I built my pits, I did every internal screw with Never Seize. Some of the external ones as well. Oddly though. I know there are still detractors who say they're "cheap Chinese pits", but all the screws not just the ones on the inside of the pits are black anodized stainless steel. So go figure that level of attention on "el cheapos". So even though I did coat them with NS IDK if it was even necessary.
Good for future repairs/main if needed, but on screws awkward to get in made it a little difficult as mag bits did not hold them LOL
IDK if the new Weber pit has this detail but, while it's new, you may want to give it a thorough glance over and decide what if any screws may need to come out for future maint., and pull each one to give it a little coat of NS. A year or 2 from now you will thank me for the advice.

I questioned whether the Searwood could effectively replace my old Genesis, but my Searwood has been a champ so far. I bought the griddle for it and wondered if it'd be effective, but that's what I've been using most of all. Smash burgers on the Searwood/griddle were fantastic. I made birra tacos on it the other night. I'm seeing no reason to hang onto the Genesis, or the WSM. High heat cooking really goes through the pellets though (Weber says 5 lbs an hour at high heat) but I use cheap Kirkland pellets for that at $13 for 40 pounds. (Cookin' Pellets for smoking.)

Cold weather.... I burn through more pellets in warm weather. lol I suspect someone will be selling a thermal blanket cover like they have for the SmokeFire. I saw a small increase in pellet consumption during the winter but not enough to use the thermal blanket I have. We had a mild winter this year in NJ. The manufacturer also recommended only using the cover when temps were at 35f or below.

IMG_2954.JPG

I did every internal screw with Never Seize
Thanks to you all my grills the 3 gen gassers and my Performer all the screws were done with Never Seize. On the Performer I had painted the screws for the table and decided to replace with Stainless after a few years no problem getting those screws out. Of course all my grills are covered so that helps also.

Assuming I can get my gridd

Assuming I can get my griddle working right, I plan for my first cook on it to be (my first ever) smash burgers this weekend! 😋

A couple of things. I looked at your griddle thread, and no worries. Mine was a little blotchy and streaky at first. I think I was using too much oil. It eventually evened out though.

As far as cooking on it, what I did with the smash burgers is heat up the grill (with the griddle in it) to 550 and let it sit at 550 for 5 minutes or so to make sure the griddle was hot. Then I switched it to Manual Mode 10 and cooked the burgers. They cooked quite fast.

I feel as if heating it up to very high temp in normal mode before switching to manual mode is more efficient and heats up the griddle more thoroughly. Granted I've only used it a few times but that's what works for me.

Back