What do you paint your frame and parts with?

DannyGarcia

TVWBB Member
What is everyone using for their frame, table z bars etc ? Gloss ? Semi gloss ? I see some are painting the parts near heat with a high heat paint? I dont want to have too much contrast when i repaint my side panels and cookbox and it seems that the roll on high heat works best for that vs the spray.

Several suggested paints are listed in this thread:

Hi Danny, could you please post a picture of the grill so we can confirm the color. Thank you
Hey thanks for the responses ! Well I have a redhed 3000 that I had since new but I also just picked up this 1000 (i believe) that im gonna refurb and then use while i refurb my redhead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_090146_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_090146_OfferUp.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3
Danny, I don't think you will find the High Heat Ultra in a can for roll on. You can get the regular high heat in a can but it is a flat finish. I use regular Rustoleum High heat on the cook box and and the Ultra on end caps and frame around the cook box area. I use Rustoleum 2X semi gloss on the rest of the frame and other grill parts.

Danny, I don't think you will find the High Heat Ultra in a can for roll on. You can get the regular high heat in a can but it is a flat finish. I use regular Rustoleum High heat on the cook box and and the Ultra on end caps and frame around the cook box area. I use Rustoleum 2X semi gloss on the rest of the frame and other grill parts.
Thanks!

So you use:
Rusto Reg High Heat Can (flat) - Cookbox
Rusto Ultra High Heat Spray (Semi) - End caps and frame around cookbox
Rusto 2x Spray (Semi) - All other parts

So flat on the cookbox and everything else semi gloss?

Thanks !

Yes, basically that is it. Just High heat version on items that are on in or very near the cook box.

Yes, basically that is it. Just High heat version on items that are on in or very near the cook box.
Thanks Bruce.

Just curious, why not just spray everything vs using the can on the cookbox? Is it because the roll on covers blemishes better ?

2-3 coats on the cook box. Usually about three on the end caps. Frame is usually two coats along with other grill parts.

If you notice in the video above painting the frame, it seems like I am only giving the frame one coat. But if you watch, you will notice overlapping and basically the frame is getting two good coats on all surfaces.

2-3 coats on the cook box. Usually about three on the end caps. Frame is usually two coats along with other grill parts.

If you notice in the video above painting the frame, it seems like I am only giving the frame one coat. But if you watch, you will notice overlapping and basically the frame is getting two good coats on all surfaces.
Thanks, the firebox came back really quickly so, I might get paint on this week, clean the lid and reassemble that before I ding the parts or they get funky through some mishap!

If you are only doing 1 grill this year use spray.

I use the can and roll on the firebox liberally. I finish the firebox with a light single coat spray of hi heat semi gloss in the visible areas. I get good coverage and appearance at a reasonable cost.

I have to watch my costs when repairing grills.

2 things….

Cost of the quart can of paint. A quart is way too much for a single firebox. I can do 10 fireboxes with 1 can.

The can is only good for a single season.

I would not recommend a roller on any smooth parts like the frame members. Just like you wouldn’t roll on car paint in most cases. Do the body work before painting

Back