Went to refill a 20lb propane tank

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
So I called my local Ace which I normally do refills from them I have 3 tanks so its been awhile as when I go thru 2 head out for 2 and now its $23.50 to refill a tank used to be about 17 and change they moved their location so its about 10 miles there so not worth the effort. Went to another place closer about the same but they were out of propane swap .50 more.

Go to Kroger 2.5 miles down the street do a swap for $19.99 ask the poor kid who needs to swap them can he get me nice looking tanks and he says your welcome to pick them out yourself so I grab 2 tanks stamped 2023 that looked brand new yes I am anal. I get a refill has more propane in them but it does not appear its worth it anymore in my area and of course get Kroger points.

I moved to Cynch (Propane Taxi) a few years ago. Got tired of the routine of walking into Lowe's, paying for my propane, walking back out and waiting until some joker showed up to do the exchange. It's getting a little pricey now at $24.99, but all I have to do is open the app, pick my day and set the tank in front of the garage. By some miracle, there's a full tank waiting for me later in the day. I consider the extra dollar or two well worth not making the trip and wasting the time.

We've got a couple of gas stations locally that fill propane tanks. Last time I had mine filled it cost just over half as much as exchanges. I'm working on the first of two 20# tanks I had filled 3 or 4 years ago. The only thing I use it for now is the grill gun I used to light charcoal, a smoke tube, burning weeds from cracks in concrete slabs & walkways and occasionally to fill a 1 lb. bottle. Probably a lifetime supply :)

Costco were I live is about $5 to $8 for a full tank refill I dont think I ever paid more than $8. If it goes any higher I hear that Weber now makes a pellet grill that can sear AND smoke 🤣
My local Costco's don't do propane. When was the last time you filled up I think Propane locally is 3.49 to 3.95 a gallon now.

We have a garden center here (those of you from this area) may remember it as Fritchens which burned down in a spectacular fire quite some time ago. It was then vacant and dormant a long time. It's now been rebuilt (very nicely I might add) and is a company called Landscape Connection. Nice people, and such. On Tuesdays they run a propane special. Refill 20lb bottles for $12.50 because my dad had 2 bottles for his Genesis and since I was at his house sometimes twice a week, when dad's Genesis ran out, I'd swap one take the empty home with me. I also had the Q320 on LP then, and had 2 or 3 bottles of my own. So, I would fill them there on a Tuesday. At first I felt a little guilty bringing 2 tanks there. Then I would see people lined up with 3, 4, 5 tanks (sometimes even more) getting them filled. Now of course dad is not in his house (another long story sadly), and my Q is off the bottle so I have 2 full tanks here and an empty.
I keep them around in case I decide to use the Q elsewhere, I have it set for a quick fuel change if/when needed.
IDK how much longer they can keep doing the $12.50 Tuesdays though with everything skyrocketing in price

Local Safeway has exchanges and with Barbs discount it's about $17. But 90% of our gas grilling is on the NG E320.
Bottles are used for the performer, gen 2000. Plus, I have 5 tanks for the generator.

Plan is to convert my generator from liquid fuel to gas. But, goal is to run another NG hookup to where I can stick the generator rather than LP. Cool thing is the conversion kits I am looking at are easy to switch between LP/NG by the flip of a switch

I would go natural gas if it was available here on the Peninsula.
It not so I’m on propane tanks.
I once installed a cook top to a mobile home that was on propane.
I about soiled myself when the flames went up about 2 feet tall.
We keep 3 of those 2.5 gallon ones or whatever they are and I keep a 300 gallon big tank always full for extreme emergency situations.
I left my big tri-fuel generator with old gas in it and had to replace the carburetor so it’s now propane only.
I find that I’m more propane efficient since I got a tank gauge off of Amazon.
It was less than $10 and well worth the price.
Running out of propane and having to fetch some quick is no bueno.

IMG_1041.jpeg

I go to Kroger and just exchange them. It has been a while but I think it's $19.99 now. I have one 100# tank that is full and five full 20# tanks in case I need to fire up the generator. I have a 13000 watt generator that I can plug in on the patio and it will run the whole house. I bought it two years ago and we haven't had to use it yet, knock on wood.

U-Haul Rentals sells propane by the gallon. The website will tell you what locations have it. how much they have available and how much it costs. The last two are lies. I went to the location nearest me last year with two brand new, empty tanks. The "manager" yelled to a guy in the shop to ask, "Is anyone doing propane today?" The answer was no. Great. I called ahead the the next nearest location to ask if they had availability and was someone there "doing propane" today and was told yes. I said I just wanted to make sure, and was asked, "Are you coming?" Geeze... When I arrived, a woman was exiting the building and headed to her vehicle. I went inside to see what I needed to do. The woman came back inside a few minutes later and said, "I'm waiting for you." like I'm supposed to know who she was, and where I should go. I asked to confirm the price on the website and was told, "I ain't got nothin' to do with that website." Charming. So instead of $3.75, it was $3.99 per gallon. Each new, empty tank took 4.7 gallons, so $18.75 per tank before sales tax.

I moved to Cynch (Propane Taxi) a few years ago. Got tired of the routine of walking into Lowe's, paying for my propane, walking back out and waiting until some joker showed up to do the exchange. It's getting a little pricey now at $24.99, but all I have to do is open the app, pick my day and set the tank in front of the garage. By some miracle, there's a full tank waiting for me later in the day. I consider the extra dollar or two well worth not making the trip and wasting the time.
Love Cynch, i like to buy when they have their holiday sales. I’ve also recommended a couple people and they give a $25 Amazon card. Pretty cool especially since both people love it as well.

Back