Jumbo Joe and Single Weber charcoal Basket?

Well I decided on the Jumbo Joe route, I’m dealing with health issues and can’t eat as much grilled food so we will be cooking smaller portions anyway. When the time comes that I need more space I’ll add a 22 to go along with it.

Picked up a Smokey Joe coal grate to play with getting the coals lower in the kettle, also found a set of the Weber coal rails that looked like they been sitting on the shelf forever so for $9 I’ll experiment with them.
I beleive ,but measure first that KJ and 18.5 grates are compatible. I would add a wood handle set for the top vent and lower vent less burning of tissue. Yours...

Great grill. Very versatile. I think you’re going to really like it.

The 18” JJ can do so much. Cooks like a full sized kettle while economizing coal usage too… compared to a 22” kettle. Lots of mod ideas on this forum and web if you want to play with it.
I’ve went back and fourth. Had and loved the 22” for years and then decided to go propane and I just didn’t enjoy propane cooking so back to charcoal. When cooking on the 22” I always felt it was bigger than I needed and felt I was wasting coal so deep down I know the 18”JJ should/will work fine, I just gotta mentally adapt to it and if I give it a chance I’m sure it will handle my needs, my wife and I both agree we can add a 22” if we need to down the line.

Thanks for all the info!

I’ve went back and fourth. Had and loved the 22” for years and then decided to go propane and I just didn’t enjoy propane cooking so back to charcoal. When cooking on the 22” I always felt it was bigger than I needed and felt I was wasting coal so deep down I know the 18”JJ should/will work fine, I just gotta mentally adapt to it and if I give it a chance I’m sure it will handle my needs, my wife and I both agree we can add a 22” if we need to down the line.

Thanks for all the info!
Like I said the JJ is our go to grill along with the E320 NG for quick cooks and our summer oven.
You will be surprised on how much you can get on that JJ, with that said I also have a 22 performer for bigger cooks such as hot & fast ribs and large amounts of chicken or burgers, steaks etc.
Then again, I have a deep box 1989 gen 2000 for Roti. work.
Oh. Did I mention the Camp Chef pellet grill for those times when I want set and forget or smoking bacon, jerky or ribs. Even have a Smoky Joe, well just because I can.
Last but not least for sure is my 1985 Genesis 2 which is starting a low and slow restoration back to a usable grill.

Back