Considering a superautomatic

Looked pretty automatic to me and now even KitchenAid has gotten into the act https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/espresso.html
The superautomatics are also called bean to cup...completely hands off once you place your cup and press the button. The automation is contained inside and yes, you need to rinse and clean it and lube a few points on them routinely.
Some have an automated milk frothing and dispensing function built in.
The semi automatics involve hands on placement of the portafilter, dumping the puck, etc...
but likely make a better espresso. That Breville is a $2800 machine. It's quite nice.

Was cleaning out and organizing some kitchen cabinets at the beach house and discovered this relic...all necessary parts too. My son tested with an impromptu double shot and is happy to take it off my hands.

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_173200976.jpg
    PXL_20240428_173200976.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 7
Was cleaning out and organizing some kitchen cabinets at the beach house and discovered this relic...all necessary parts too. My son tested with an impromptu double shot and is happy to take it off my hands.
I've heard those things made a fairly "respectable" shot.

I've heard those things made a fairly "respectable" shot.
When I bought it... probably 10-15 years ago, I never got it right...but was clueless then too. My son dialed it in straight away and will likely only improve things as he goes. Win/win. He gets a little espresso machine we get more cabinet space.

I have been using a super automatic for years, mainly because I am lazy and my household drinks alot of coffee.
I started out with a Jura, wore that out and now have a Miele. Coffee drink wise they are similar, I prefer the Miele because it has a removeable brew unit that I can lube and clean. I also like that it does not have a touch screen display as I prefer to touch a button rather than navigate through several screens.
For lubing the brew unit, I use the same food grade lubricant as with my beer equipment: Link

I have been using a super automatic for years, mainly because I am lazy and my household drinks alot of coffee.
I started out with a Jura, wore that out and now have a Miele. Coffee drink wise they are similar, I prefer the Miele because it has a removeable brew unit that I can lube and clean. I also like that it does not have a touch screen display as I prefer to touch a button rather than navigate through several screens.
For lubing the brew unit, I use the same food grade lubricant as with my beer equipment: Link
This Gaggia Brera has a removable brew unit as well. It's the same one used in many other brands and models...Saeco, Philips and several others.
It came with a small tube of the same stuff you linked to. I bought a cleaning kit on Amazon too. Although, since it's essentially new, I've just been rinsing it thoroughly and letting it dry. I also dump the water reservoir and leave the unit open so air can pass through when we're not at that house for days or weeks at a time. I've watched several videos of how to disassemble, clean and lubricate it. So far, so good. It makes great espresso and is easy to use.

I also dump the water reservoir and leave the unit open so air can pass through when we're not at that house for days or weeks at a time.
This is a good idea. Just be mindful that, if your Gaggia has a filter in the reservoir, I think it may lose its effectiveness if it dries out.

This is a good idea. Just be mindful that, if your Gaggia has a filter in the reservoir, I think it may lose its effectiveness if it dries out.
Thanks. Where did you learn about the filter drying out?
I did buy a 2 pack of these and one is sitting in the reservoir DRY right now. I'll keep that in mind. We'll be down there frequently now. Pool is opened already(5/3) and the summer season is less than two weeks away. Just trying to avoid any kind of mold. But I think that's only for folks that rarely clean or maintain their machines.
I imagine I could leave the reservoir filled and just sitting on the counter or drop justvthe filter in a glass of water. But I've not read that information before.
Intenza Mavea Water Filter for Gaggia Espresso Machines- Double Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX3SYUK?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
I believe I read it on an espresso maker's site sometime ago but I don't recall specifics. Hence, I wrote "I think," lol.
No, it's interesting information and I'm curious as I recall buying and installing one of those under sink, triple cartridge systems in. Our last house. It rarely got used and I recall using it after it was sitting unused for months. The water smelled horrible. I took it apart and there was mold growing in the very top portion of one of the cartridges. I tore the system out and tossed it.
I guess I could always just use the filtered water out of the refrigerator door...it seems to take forever to fill when you want to get that AM coffee brewing though!

No, it's interesting information and I'm curious as I recall buying and installing one of those under sink, triple cartridge systems in. Our last house. It rarely got used and I recall using it after it was sitting unused for months. The water smelled horrible. I took it apart and there was mold growing in the very top portion of one of the cartridges. I tore the system out and tossed it.
I guess I could always just use the filtered water out of the refrigerator door...it seems to take forever to fill when you want to get that AM coffee brewing though!
I ditched those expensive small filters in certain coffee machines and refridgerators years ago with a seperate sediment filter and carbon block/chlorine filter for my kitchen sink and a RO filter setup for my refridgerators from Bulk Reef Supply. The RO filter setup doubles as my brewing water for my beer. The replacement filters are very reasonable in cost and the canisters are clear to allow me to see when the sediment filter needs replacement.

I sanitize my water filter systems every year, attached file is a how to article.

Attachments

• Sanitizing_RO_System without tank.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I installed a 3 stage high end filter. It has 2 carbon block ones, and one called a filament type. Not cheap. But, excellent. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...0-dwuf300/p-1501223587675-c-1535732895503.htm

But in addition I took out the center or main filter with this one as it can also take out/reduce lead and VOCs
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...r/h2o-f13/p-1501223587610-c-1535732895503.htm

And Have to say, the water we are getting from that new tap is every bit as good as any bottled you would buy labeled as "mineral" water. My reasoning there is our local wells are really deep artesian wells and other than the chlorine added is really high quality. So, the filter input is taken prior to the softener. And it's really good for the coffee, plain ol drinking, and for making sparkling water with my new carbonator from Philips. Gotta say I am enjoying it every bit as much as the expensive bubbly from Italy I was going through by the case

BTW I kept the RO system hooked up to the icemaker in the freezer. This way I have really clean and crystal clear ice

Back