Smoking Ribs on a Rib Rack vs Flat on Grill?

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I do them both ways on the WSM but they seem to taste better on the rack for some reason.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Thanks for any input.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I don't have a smoker. I smoke my ribs on my Weber OTG. I lay them flat on the grill when doing just a couple of racks of ribs. I use a rib rack when doing a bunch.

I see NO difference in flavor, etc. whichever method I am using.

Dale53

I use the rack on the kettle and the WSM...not sure if I notice a difference in taste, but I find the rack makes them cook more evenly. Nothing scientific about it, just notice that even thick baby backs finish at the same time as thinner ones.

It's also hella easy to get five racks of ribs in a rack off the WSM to foil before the temps go through the roof with the lid off.

The conventional thinking is that ribs flat on the grate stay more moist. However, as others posted, I find no difference. Flat on the grate makes glazing easier and there's one less thing to clean. However, the bigger issue on the wsm is always how you deal with the issue of the ends of the slabs overcooking.

Dave,

Just place a piece of foil under the ends of the ribs to prevent the heat, coming up the sides, from overcooking the ends of the racks.

Al;
I have the same problem when smoking ribs on my 22.5 OTG. My next cook will include foil under the ends of the ribs.

Dale53

i've noticed no difference in taste between cooking flat or in a rack. when i am just cooking a single slab, i do it flat on my OTG kettle in order to preserve charcoal since i don't see the necessity to fire upmy 22" WSM for a single slab. however, when cooking for a party, i cook anywhere from 5-10 slabs using two racks on my WSM. both ways come out great. only difference is when using racks there is a bit of extra work to do when the glazing process begins but it isn't nothing major. i usually finish them off with a glaze and "flame kiss" them on the Summit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Dave,

Just place a piece of foil under the ends of the ribs to prevent the heat, coming up the sides, from overcooking the ends of the racks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al, have you done this with just ribs on a rack or flat on the grate, as well? A buddy of mine told me that while it helps with charring, the ends still overcook. Maybe he wasn't using a rack though.

I usually cook half slabs, but I do know that a little foil all around the perimeter of the grate for whatever crazy reason you can come up with ... well, yes...it was just plain crazy. Call it the stupidest thing I ever did with my wsm.

I would think that if one is using a 3-2-1 (or variation) method. It is easier to foil/unfoil if laying flat.

Also if adding liquid to the foil process; laying flat allows the liquid to stay in place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think that if one is using a 3-2-1 (or variation) method. It is easier to foil/unfoil if laying flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is. But one can start in a rack, especially if several slabs are being cooked at once, then remove when ready (my preference is when the color is right), lay each slab on its own foil piece, drizzle on the liquid(s) (in my case, liquid reductions), crimp to seal, then stack on the grate, flat.

Like most others I can't tell a difference in taste between rack and flat. When I use the rack in the Performer I usually rotate the ribs to insure even cooking. Does anyone else do that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think that if one is using a 3-2-1 (or variation) method. It is easier to foil/unfoil if laying flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is. But one can start in a rack, especially if several slabs are being cooked at once, then remove when ready (my preference is when the color is right), lay each slab on its own foil piece, drizzle on the liquid(s) (in my case, liquid reductions), crimp to seal, then stack on the grate, flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the last step... unfoil and place in rack again? Probably depends on the amount fo ribs cooked.

I think if the amount of ribs cooks fits on a rack flat.. then that is the easier way to go.. if not then use a rack/coil etc.

Thanks for the replies. After I pull the ribs from the rack and foil with a liquid (usually a splash of apple juice), I just stack them on the WSM. All I'm after at that point is heat to finish.

Jim V;
When doing several slabs on my 22.5 OTG on a rack, I cook them indirect for about 2½ hours, then rotate and end for end to insure complete and even smoking. When I turn them, there is a noticeable difference in "doneness" top to bottom. It normally takes about another hour for them to be finished. At this point, they are evenly cooked.

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">unfoil and place in rack again? Probably depends on the amount fo ribs cooked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does but yes, if one is needing to firm the bark they can be placed again in the rack.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
It is. But one can start in a rack, especially if several slabs are being cooked at once, then remove when ready (my preference is when the color is right), lay each slab on its own foil piece, drizzle on the liquid(s) (in my case, liquid reductions), crimp to seal, then stack on the grate, flat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to be doing a cook for 30 + in june, largest number I've ever done and will be using the rack method. Was wondering about the post foil stage. Stacking solves that problem. Good to know it works just as well and good to have a process to use. I'm guessing there is another post you can point to, but I was wondering what kind of liquid reductions you use?

Thanks,
Brian

Usually two or more of whatever I have on hand. Reducing somewhat, first, concentrates the flavors making it more likely that they will impart some of them.

I don't use apple juice for anything so don't have that around (though it could be used), but cranberry or cranberry/cherry or the like (I don't care for 'juice drink' or 'juice cocktail' - I prefer 100% juice), pomegranate, blueberry, mango, guava, pineapple are some examples. Also: chicken or vegetable stock, various wines, verjus, various vinegars.

Usually I use three but always at least two. What I am looking for is more concentrated flavor that has some intensity but is not too sweet. A sweet juice can be balanced by something savory (stock, e.g.), sour (lemon, pomegranate juice, vinegar), or something in between (wine, orange or grapefruit juice, some cranberry blends).

Usually two or more of whatever I have on hand. Reducing somewhat, first, concentrates the flavors making it more likely that they will impart some of them.

I don't use apple juice for anything so don't have that around (though it could be used), but cranberry or cranberry/cherry or the like (I don't care for 'juice drink' or 'juice cocktail' - I prefer 100% juice), pomegranate, blueberry, mango, guava, pineapple are some examples. Also: chicken or vegetable stock, various wines, verjus, various vinegars.

Usually I use three but always at least two. What I am looking for is more concentrated flavor that has some intensity but is not too sweet. A sweet juice can be balanced by something savory (stock, e.g.), sour (lemon, pomegranate juice, vinegar), or something in between (wine, orange or grapefruit juice, some cranberry blends). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you're talking about. I stumbled on a blueberry and red wine reduction while trying to make a BBQ sauce that is more savory then sweet or vinegary that I've been using just before I foil that seems to impart a very nice flavor. I'll try some of these other fruits. So much to try and so litle time to Q.

Thanks,
Brian

Back