Smoked chicken; which wood do you use and why?

StanSulli

TVWBB Fan
Hey,

I'm going to be smoking a couple of whole chickens tomorrow. I generally use cherry or pecan wood or a combination thereof.

I'm thinking of trying something different this time. What are you guys using to smoke chicken and why?

Thanks.

I agree: Apple, Pecan or Hickory are great wood for smoke. I really like Cherry wood, but that's cuz I get it fo' free :) (but it is good wood for smoking)

Cherry is great for poultry because it colors the bird so well. Apple is tasty. If using hickory I go very light on the smoke.

mesquite and a lot of water (and low/slow) are about the only things I'd tell you to avoid. I generally can't oversmoke anything anymore, but to me, those would be (probably recoverable) mistakes.

Most of the time I use a mix of Apple and Pecan. Most of the time I use just a little for a light smoke, but every once in a while I'll add some Mesquite to kick up the smoke a notch or two.

I really love apple. I use it on chicken and pork. The smell of it smoking to me is so much more appealing than hickory. I like cherry too and use it on beef.

I smoke everything, except, salmon with apple, cherry and hickory. Mostly apple and cherry with a small chunk of hickory. Salmon gets alder.

Almost any fruit wood combination or hickory, but I do a very light smoke so it doesn't over power the chicken.

Back