S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
No water, but if I were building it today I would just use a metal drip pan. I don't think you need the terracota to 'stabalize' the temp.

What J said! When I built my mini, I just used my steamer tray that came with the tomale' pot. I foiled it and have never looked back. I was goingbto use a terra cotta saucer,but didn't want to waste the fuel that would be lost heating the clay saucer. Plus, it makes it that much cheaper since you don't have to buy the saucer. I posted pics of my build on page 24 of this post. Hope this helps, good luck,
Tim

Hey guys. I recently built one myself after finding the info here. Great idea. I'll be moving back to the states soon and will be camping more, so this is perfect for the family and camping.

I built it about a month ago and showed it off to my neighbor, who asked me to make one for him. So I just finished his last night. On the first build, I used an IMUSA pot from Target with a man law thermometer. On the second build, I used a Vasconia pot without a thermometer. The Vasconia pot is definitely a better fit. So I "traded" pots with the neighbor, since I'm more into the smoker than he is (don't worry, I'm paying the difference). I cleaned up the original and painted it black for him. It will have the man law thermometer in it since I used the probes more. For the Vasconia, I used my dremel and gave it a brushed aluminum look, and drilled a small hole to run the probe through.

I'm posting pics below to show some ideas that I didn't see from anyone else. Here goes:

1. First pic shows the Smokey Joe charcoal pan with a charcoal ring I made from the leftover bottom and lid aluminum. I drilled lots of holes for ventilation and attached it to the charcoal grate with picture hangers.

Charcoal Ring

2. This pic shows an idea I had to make the IMUSA sit better on the charcoal bowl. Plus, it gives a better seal. I used the lid from the vasconia, which I won't use anyway.

Seating Ring

3. Pic showing the brushed aluminum. I made three separate mount locations so I can cook a lot if needed, or change the position of 1 or 2 grates depending on the size of the meat. The hole under the bottom bolt allows me to run the probe into it. I can also add a 4th grate by resting it on the lip used for the steamer tray.

Brushed Aluminum

4. This shot shows how I hung the probe under the bottom grill. This particular grate will always be the bottom grate, regardless of how many I have (unless I add a 4th sitting on the lip, then it will be closer to the middle) . I used 2 picture hangers to suspend the probe.

Probe

5. Final shot showing the grill in action today doing baby back ribs.

In Action

Edit:
This was the original IMUSA version before I painted it black to give to my neighbor. The vent handle on the bottom was one of those screw-in bike holders, but I've since replaced it. The aluminum on the vent gets too soft during a cook and starts to bend, so it didn't really work out too well for me.

Original

Hey Mac, That looks amazing. Kudos. What top are you using? is that an water pan from an 18" WSM? It looks exactly like the one from the 1880.

Originally posted by Mac:
My Mini.
DSCN3717.JPG

DSCN3718.JPG

DSCN3723.JPG

Thanks Lawrence,
Your right, the Lid is a Water Pan from the 18 WSM. I ordered it from Weber along withe the Vents.
The Handle Parts came from a SJS curb find. It was the only part worth salvaging. Everything else was crushed beyond repair.

Built an SJS smoker today. I need to make the charcoal ring and probe grommet tomorrow. I call the new smoker Android, since when you put the magnetic went handles on the lid it looks just like the Android mascot!

523935_798228940648_707585_35295580_1391070500_n.jpg

149331_798228591348_707585_35295576_1325431034_n.jpg

530415_798228686158_707585_35295577_1327736062_n.jpg

Like my magnetic vent handle? The vent is only .5" right now. I'll expand it when I get a step drill. There is one on each side.
305521_798228765998_707585_35295578_1553939802_n.jpg

I just drilled holes around the perimeter of the clay saucer. I figured less cutting is more structural stability, less work and better looking. The saucer fits right under the steamer insert, which you can use as a lower grate with about 4 in of clearance till the top grate.
405005_798228840848_707585_35295579_1298962525_n.jpg

Modified my mini today to do a chicken.

1. Built a charcoal ring.
2. Used a nine inch ring as a difuser.
3. Moved my thermostat to the midldle of the pot.
4. Did my first burn with lump.

I like it even better now. Temps rose to 500 degrees!!! but I got it back down to 350, which is where I wanted it. Packed the fuel in tight so even after a 1 hour burn most of the fuel is still there. Can't wait to tweak this for a butt!

Jay

Originally posted by JHunter:
Modified my mini today to do a chicken.

1. Built a charcoal ring.

I like it even better now. Temps rose to 500 degrees!!! Packed the fuel in tight so even after a 1 hour burn most of the fuel is still there.

Jay

Did the Charcoal ring make the difference in getting the high temps?

Howdy folks!

I discovered a link to the mini-WSM build using a SJS. I was intrigued because I could use the final result as a grill or as a smoker. Well, tomorrow I will do the first burn on my almost-complete-mini.

I've taken some pictures and will take some more.

Has everyone seen all the builds they ever want to see? Or, should I create a post for this thread?

I want to thank those who started this thread and who have kept it alive with all the mods, and experiences and learned techniques that they have shared.

R. Hutchins: Post your pics!!!

M Plaines: The pie pan and lump were probably the biggest reasons I got the temp up to 500 degrees. The terracotta pot absorbed a lot of heat. I prefer the pie pan to the terra cotta because I can just cut the air to the fire to limit the temp.

OK! I will compose a post showing the processes I've been through so far, but seeing as how I am so easily distracted, it might be a day or nine. FWIW, I took my SJS top with me to Wal*Mart and bought the 32 qt. IMUSA tamale steamer pot. I checked the fit of the SJS top on both the top and bottom of the pot and got a good friction fit without having to force it. The IMUSA pot label said "Made in China". I bought the pot last week (end of April, 2012)

In the meanwhile, I've got some questions that I came up with while I was contemplating this build.

1) I cut bottom out of IMUSA steamer leaving `.5" ring on bottom. A grate rack placed on that ring holds a small grate rack from Academy on which I place a 12" terra cotta flower pot saucer covered in HD foil for both heat sink and drip pan.

Is this too low for the diffuser and drip tray?
Do I need to raise the terra cotta? I want to maximize the space above the diffuser so as to get in as many as 4 racks total.

2) Will the bottom ring give way to the weight of the flower pot saucer heat sink over time? I might need to use water on some smokes. Should I reinforce the something to ensure that the heat sink doesn't pull the bottom ring out? What should I use? Aluminum or steel rods? Something else? Should I place bolts through the steamer sides above the bottom curve to hold the saucer? Seems this might allow the steamer to stow stuff for transport and add stability to the modified cylinder.

3) As many have done, I'm dithering about where to place the grill racks relative to the top rim. I'm thinking that a grill rack at the very top leaves about 3.5" to the highest part of the
SJS cover dome - just like for grilling, this
should work for small items smoked.

If I then divide the remaining 9-1/4" depth (to
the top of the indentation) into 3 equal parts,
the depths should be able to accommodate up to 3 small butts and certainly 3 spatchcocked chickens and still have the top rack for ABT's or whatever. I will then have depths of ~9", ~6", ~3" to the top of the smoke chamber and another ~3 inches to the top of the lid dome (4 cooking surfaces).

Is there any reason NOT to do this?

<span class="ev_code_RED">Too Late! I couldn't wait and went ahead and drilled holes for the racks. They are placed just under the rolled rim of the steamer, 4" measured with a ruler under the rim, 7" and the lowest will rest on the terra cotta saucer.</span>

4) I will cover the air holes with a can to prevent ash clogging using a can diameter no larger than necessary to cover the vent holes. I plan to make a fuel basket, but am undecided between EM and solid for the sides. Somewhere in this epic thread (I've read from page 1 to page 42, so far) there was a discussion about the solid side allowing greater control of air flow and, thus, heat; however, it seems it would limit fuel capacity.

Has a consensus been reached about EM vs solid
sides for a fuel basket? Why would I use one or the other? Do I need both for different smokes? Do I even need a basket at all? What does a fuel basket do for you?

5) Will I regret it if I don't paint it before the burn-in smoke? I kinda like the R2D2 look of the it unpainted, but I don't know if will look as good after some use.

6) Where do you get extra grilling racks that fit inside the steamer, ie, the original SJS size? Is this what I should be looking for? How do you fit lower grill racks past the bolts for upper racks? I have 3/4" #8 SS machine screws that I plan to use. They are small so as not to obstruct too much but big enough to hold a rack.

<span class="ev_code_RED">I discovered that the small machine screws are just about perfect. I can place the SJS grilling grate at all locations without more than the least bit of maneuvering. </span>

How much do SJS replacement grills cost? So far, I've got $20 in the IMUSA steamer (it fit the SJS I already had perfectly), about another $30 in hardware and materials and the terra cotta heat sink. (I ain't gonna count the cost of a Maverick 'cause I already had that on order and I ain't gonna count the $25 I spent on a used 22" OTG with cover that I found while cruisin' CL for another SJ.)

7) I have a Maverick dual probe ET-73 and an ET-901. I can't decide where to place holes for probes nor how to mount the one that will measure smoker temps. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

8) Any suggestions for using the steamer insert or the lid? I also have the circle I cut out of the bottom. Because I plan to use a can in-
verted over the vent holes there is no need to
make an ash sweeper that I see.

Just before I started this post, I started my burn-in on the mini. I placed 24 Kingsford briquets on the grate and placed 7 lit in the middle of the stack then placed the steamer on the SJS base with the ET-73 smoker probe in the clip on the second rack - ~4" from the top rim. Ambient temps here are low 90s. Since I started typing, the remote tells me that the smoker has risen to 210* in roughly 30 minutes and it's still rising. I have the vents fully open top and bottom. I want to see if I can get it to come back down to 200* then see how long it will hold that temp with that fuel load. It's up to 233* and rising. I wonder what max is going to be?

Before I go, I have one more question. What do you folks use for tongs to handle lit coals? I found that I have to light more coals than I need or the newspaper burns and too few coals don't catch enough of the heat. I have to at least cover the conical grate in my chimney. The steel rod kitchen tongs I have are too short to avoid the heat. I don't want to melt the tips of my long aluminum tongs. Is there a product somewhere for this?

Thanks for listening.

(Temp now at 240* and still rising.)

If you need to light only a fuel coals, turn the chimney upside down. Then you can use an old pair of tongs to remove the hot coals.
I dod not think of the idea, but it works great!

Originally posted by AJ S.:
If you need to light only a fuel coals, turn the chimney upside down. Then you can use an old pair of tongs to remove the hot coals.
I dod not think of the idea, but it works great!

The sound you hear is my open palm slapping my forehead!

Great idea! Perfect solution!

Thank you!

Burn in Test Heat Results

I did a test heat of my mini-WSM yesterday. There is a 12" terra cotta flower pot saucer covered in foil in the bottom as a diffuser and heat sink. I placed 24 unlit Kingsford briquettes on the grate (no basket yet) and lit 7 briquettes in my chimney starter. After they were going good I placed those 7 lit in the center of the 24 in a first attempt to do a Minion method fire. I have a 28 oz tomato can cut down to the depth below the grate, about 2", with church key holes around the top which was left solid to block ashes.

I left all the vents fully open - bottom and top. Within a half hour smoker temps measured by a Maverick ET-73 rose to 245* and stayed there for about 2 hours. After I saw them stabilize that long, I closed the vents about 75% top and bottom to see how it would affect temp. It came down slowly to 200. As the fire embers turned to ash, the temp dropped and was at about 180* after 4 hours.

This was my first use of a charcoal fired smoker. I have since finished up a temporary basket of EM that I will use. (Made it too big and had to cut it down.) I will also use a smaller flower pot saucer - 10" maybe - to see what effect that has on temps and length of burn. I also plan to use an aluminum pie pan as a diffuser to see how much heat I'm giving up to the terra cotta.

It was in the mid 90s here yesterday with slight wind. I don't think either affected the test. More charcoal would surely have raised the temp and made it last longer. I highly suspect that the terra cotta absorbed a lot of heat and kept my max temp down but it probably had a stabilizing effect on the temp dropping, prolonging higher temps longer.

I let it sit overnight and checked it this morning. None of the air holes in the vent stack were covered but ashes had risen almost to the level of the top of the can. Almost a third of the briquettes were untouched by fire and a few more were only partially burned. This tells me that I've got uneven air flow and need a basket. I've read in this epic thread that Kingsford notoriously produces a LOT of ash and that there are others that produce less while producing more heat than the K. The Stubbs brand was mentioned, but I know nothing about this yet. I really expected temps to reach closer to 300* but with so little charcoal and such a large heat sink, it didn't go that high.

For a burn-in, I think it went OK. Temps above 245* will only be needed for smoking poultry, I think. That should be doable with a bigger fire, started with more lit coals, and a smaller heat sink. Most smoking will be done with temps lower than the max I got. For really long smokes I'll probably need to add fuel, more than once on really long smokes, maybe.

R Hutchinson,

I ditched the terracota pot because it sucks up too much of the energy. If you make the basket go with lump. Low ash and more heat. I use stubbs and depending on its state is as good as it gets for charcoal. If stubbs picks up some moisture or you get an old bag, its as only as good as kingsford. However when its fresh and dry, you may not even miss lump.

If lump didn't snap/crackle/pop on my wooden deck it would be perfect. But for this smoker, I light the fire with a weber starter cube, cover it up, and sparks aren't an issue.

Also with SJG you just don't need to deal with that can. Nothing like having that ash just fall to the bottom... without concern of clogging and using lump keeps the amount of ash to a minimum.

But here is what you absolutely must do!! Keep playing with your Mini until it works the way YOU want it. That's the fun of this baby, there is no ONE right way.

J

Originally posted by JHunter:
R Hutchins<STRIKE>on</STRIKE>,

I ditched the terracota pot because it sucks up too much of the energy. If you make the basket go with lump. Low ash and more heat. I use stubbs and depending on its state is as good as it gets for charcoal. If stubbs picks up some moisture or you get an old bag, its as only as good as kingsford. However when its fresh and dry, you may not even miss lump.

If lump didn't snap/crackle/pop on my wooden deck it would be perfect. But for this smoker, I light the fire with a weber starter cube, cover it up, and sparks aren't an issue.

Also with SJG you just don't need to deal with that can. Nothing like having that ash just fall to the bottom... without concern of clogging and using lump keeps the amount of ash to a minimum.

But here is what you absolutely must do!! Keep playing with your Mini until it works the way YOU want it. That's the fun of this baby, there is no ONE right way.

J

Your posts in this thread - and those of others - are what encouraged me to build a mini. That and the fact that I already had a well-used SJS that I could start with and not have to modify it so that I can continue to use it as a grill.

After some more experimentation and more heats and some real smokes, I'll know better what works for me and what doesn't. The idea of drilling holes in the side of the bottom and using magnets to control airflow has some appeal, but I will hold off until I know without doubt that I have an ash problem that I can't fix any other way!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Howdy (again), Folks!

I just started my first real smoke in the mini. It's a slab of St. Louis cut ribs that I had to cut up to fit on the one rack that I have at the moment. Here's my process.

1) Prepare the ribs by washing in cold water then removing the tendon on the bone side then washing again. Slathered it in yellow mustard then covered it in a rib rub (Jeff's recipe from SMF.com).

2) Before doing the second side of the ribs, I started my fire. This time I put 28 K briquettes unlit in a circle in a basket (yeah, I threw a basket together since last we spoke - still needs work) and left a hollow in the middle for 8 lit briquettes that were pretty well ash covered. I then put in 4 chunks of pecan about 3 inches on each side. I placed the smoke probe in my Maverick and in the smoker. It quickly spiked to 310*. I am NOT using the terra cotta but have a 9" pie pan covered in foil to diffuse the smoke. I have the can protecting the lower vent holes.

3) Before putting the ribs and grill in the smoker, I took the top off to get the temp back down. I also set the dampers to about half open, top and bottom. Smoker temp is rising slowly and is at 226* after about 20 minutes. It stuck the meat probe in the flap just for grins to see what it will tell me. Right now it is about 45* lower than the smoker.

4) Even with help from the finance department, I had a he** of a time getting the rack placed with the meat on it. Lesson learned. Place the rack then the meat. Also, I'm planning to put some eye bolts in the grill to give me finger loops to control the grill. They will also allow me to tweak height of the upper grill by a bit as need by. The ribs are in the second rack position which is about 4-1/4" below the top rim of the IMUSA.

5) Went back to reduce smoker temp again by removing top and got a quick peak at the amount of smoke. It's impressive. Also took a quick pic of the ribs. Will post later in a more complete mini-build/first smoke post.

6) I noticed that I'm getting smoke leaking around the top. Hmmmm! Must be that the old SJS has been abused or the burn-in smoke changed the shape of the rim a bit. I spun the top around and the escaping smoke follow a spot on the lid; so I've guessing the lid might need a love tap at some point. I doubt very seriously though, that it matters a tinkers ****.

I plan to do a 3-2-1 sort of smoke, which I've never done before. I'll wrap the ribs after 2.5-3 hours, then place back in the smoker for 1.5-2 hours, then take off and baste in sauce and put back on for an hour or so.

We should know about 9 pm'ish if it worked. I should also learn more about temp control. Temp is still rising very slowly and is now up to 235* after about .5 hour. Think I'll open the vents just a bit. I'm really gonna be curious to see if the 32 briquettes and 4 chunks will be all the fuel I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back