New Television

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
Our maybe 8 year old 70" Vizio TV is starting to show a signs of fogging, so I am starting a search for a new one. I researching, I can not decide on type. OLED seems the best, but lower screen life and lower light levels. We have it on a lot and in a fairly bright room, so probably not the best option. So now we have LED, QLED. Nano QLED, Mini LED etc. I am looking around a 75" screen and as anti-reflective as possible. Owner opinions? Technology advantages? Brand preference? $2000 range is fine.

I heard Samsung has recently introduced a new type of OLED screen that supposedly takes care of the drawbacks. I don't know much about it. But I will say OLED is the only thing I've seen come close to the quality of Plasma (of which I have 2 and love those). They've been quite reliable as oldest is now approaching 18 yo

But I will say OLED is the only thing I've seen come close to the quality of Plasma (of which I have 2 and love those). They've been quite reliable as oldest is now approaching 18 yo
I have a 20 year old Panasonic plasma in my basement. Every time I turn it on I go "wow". The only reason I replaced it was the brightness was not high enough for the room we wanted it in. When you say "new", I hear "expensive". I do not need the very best and do not want to dump $4000 on a new TV. Just trying to find the best type of display for a fairly bright, reflective room. All the OLED's seem to have highly reflective screens.

Correction. Bought that TV in 2006. About same age as yours.

Last edited:
When my 2006 vintage Panasonic plasma died last year I went with an LG OLED from costco.

It has a fantastic picture. Built in sound is pretty good.

When my 2006 vintage Panasonic plasma died last year I went with an LG OLED from costco.

It has a fantastic picture. Built in sound is pretty good.
How are reflections? Sound does not matter much as I use a surround sound system most of the time.

I have a 65" LG C2 oled and a 85" Samsung Neo QLED.(mini led)
Both offer a great picture but the Samsung picture looks better in our bright living room.

I would avoid oled in rooms with a lot of sunlight.

Check out RTINGS.com for reviews of all the latest tv's. Good site and info on all the latest tech

Going thru the same exercise right now. I also have a 2006 Samsung Plasma which won't die, not worried about Oled not being bright enough the plasma was not exactly a flame thrower in brightness more than adequate and I have a bright room get light bounce early in the morning then its gone. I have a 2 story family room not much you can do about it and by the way the OLED burnout thing is a bit of a myth they all have made remedies on the modern OLED sets and I can remember that Plasma Tv's were supposed to have the same problem never had an issue.

Here is a link to the AVS forum everything you want to know about latest Oled and LED sets tons of reviews. I am leaning towards a 65" LG C3 from Costco the new models are out and hoping they throw a sale out there. Its still a decent price if you have a Costco go in and look at the sets everytime I go in there I am glued to the LG Oled the picture is stunning and whats nice about Oled is like Plasma there really is no bad viewing angle this is not true on the LED sets but they have gotten much better.

If I go with mini led the new line of Sony's are coming out the Brava 7 will be of interest to me, the thing about Sony is yes they are more money but their processing is superior to all although LG is getting close. Do you care about Dolby Vision once you watch HDR you might care, Samsung does not support DV they have their own deal but IMO they have lost that battle more and more stuff available with DV. Reminds me of the betamax/vhs battles many years ago.

Good luck in the AVS forum hope you are retired and have hours a day to spend doing research on TV sets. :unsure: By the way they are a bit fanatical in the AVS forum.

Also https://www.rtings.com/

Thanks. Have visited rtings and a long time member of AVS forum. Have not really been on their site for a while. There used to be a lot of fan boys. I will check them and see if I can get some insight in what fits my needs. I too marvel at the displays at Costco but I also keep in mind that those are demo loops optimized by the manufacturer.

The problem with being out of the market for a while is the technology passes you by pretty quickly. It is hard to separate the truth from the hype.

There used to be a lot of fan boys.
There still are lots of fan boys LG people shooting, Sony people shooting Samsung people. Kind of entertaining but still a good amount of info. I don't worry about demo loops they all have them but the OLEDS if you decide to spend the cash to me look superior to anything else. Very hard decision I am only looking at 65" to replace my 50" plasma which is mounted above the fireplace with a tilting mount never had any neck strain whatsover.

My man cave in the basement which has normal ceilings I have an Epson 5040 4k projector shooting on a 110" screen heaven watching anything especially football. Funny thing is my wife likes the plasma better thinks the 110" screen is to big so really the 65 is for her really for me the few times I am upstairs and really watch it. :)

Our maybe 8 year old 70" Vizio TV is starting to show a signs of fogging, so I am starting a search for a new one. I researching, I can not decide on type. OLED seems the best, but lower screen life and lower light levels. We have it on a lot and in a fairly bright room, so probably not the best option. So now we have LED, QLED. Nano QLED, Mini LED etc. I am looking around a 75" screen and as anti-reflective as possible. Owner opinions? Technology advantages? Brand preference? $2000 range is fine.
I’m in the same search. Going OLED 83”

Check these ratings out for LG, Samsung and Sony. They are the top 3 OLED TVs

Brett, just be aware that rtings only tests 65" tv's as generally thats the most common size and of course they would go broke buying multiple size sets you might know that just pointing it out. The S90D in an 83" size is a Woled panel which is made by LG it is not QD-Oled like the 65" which is Samsung's newer technology so that review does not apply. You would really need to go to maybe Bestbuy to view an 83" TV I know Costco does not stock that size that you could actually look at. Mine does have a C3 77" on display.

Personally I have viewed the Samsung 65" S90C QD-Oled at Costco and that TV has gotten multiple awards its last years model. Its very nice but I preferred the picture on the LG C3 the Samsung colors seemed to be very saturated. Of course you might love it TV's are tough everyone has a view.

Now since I am spending your money the LG G4 probably going to win TV of the year or be close and they do make an 83" however its $6,500 which will come down as the year goes by way out of my price range. :)

Brett, just be aware that rtings only tests 65" tv's as generally thats the most common size and of course they would go broke buying multiple size sets you might know that just pointing it out. The S90D in an 83" size is a Woled panel which is made by LG it is not QD-Oled like the 65" which is Samsung's newer technology so that review does not apply. You would really need to go to maybe Bestbuy to view an 83" TV I know Costco does not stock that size that you could actually look at. Mine does have a C3 77" on display.

Personally I have viewed the Samsung 65" S90C QD-Oled at Costco and that TV has gotten multiple awards its last years model. Its very nice but I preferred the picture on the LG C3 the Samsung colors seemed to be very saturated. Of course you might love it TV's are tough everyone has a view.

Now since I am spending your money the LG G4 probably going to win TV of the year or be close and they do make an 83" however its $6,500 which will come down as the year goes by way out of my price range. :)

Conclusion​

So, now that we've covered the differences in technology and the pros and cons of each panel type, which one's best, and what should you buy? Overall, QD-OLED seems to be on a path to being declared the winner, but there are still some noticeable downsides. If you often watch TV in a bright room, the superior reflection handling and higher peak brightness of pure whites on WOLED panels make them a clear winner. The overall performance of each TV is more important than the specific panel used, and due to differences in specific panels, the best one overall depends on the individual TV. For lower-end or mid-tier OLED TVs, QD-OLED seems slightly better, but higher-end WOLED panels with MLA deliver significantly brighter highlights and better reflection handling.

Here’s what I’m up against, my TV room is a great room with a southwest exposure and 16’ of glass wall.

So nighttime viewing, after sunset, the room can be nicely darkened. Otherwise I have a decent amount of bright, warm light coming into that room anytime after 1/2pm.

My primary viewing is NFL and I’ll occasionally watch a movie. I stream YouTube videos to this new tv as my primary content source.

I’ve been learning about these new tvs for the past 6 months. My last tv purchase was a 55” Samsung LED tv around 14 years ago.

I’ll probably choose one model down from the top of the line as spending $6500 on a tv seems kind ridiculous to me. And my better half would most likely kill me.

I’m already being joked at by my kids for buying a 83” tv when “I don’t watch tv” really.

My choices are the C4 LG and it’s Samsung competitor, the S90D. The Sony is just too expensive for features I’m not sure I’ll need or benefit from.

My primary tv signal is OTA uncompressed. I don’t subscribe to cable tv. I get Prime and Netflix as add ons for my Prime and T-Mobile subscriptions. I try to avoid MRC subscriptions.

Good luck the reviews of the C4 seem to be an improvement over the C3. Actually I am hoping maybe the LG G3 65" gets under 2k as that has the MLA panel so its a brighter set and would handle reflections alot better.

For me no Dolby Vision is a non-starter which rules out the Samsung for me and if I was buying an 83" set since Samsung uses LG panels why not just by an LG.

Samsung is the number 1 producer of Tv's in the world so what do I know. :unsure:

Conclusion​

So, now that we've covered the differences in technology and the pros and cons of each panel type, which one's best, and what should you buy? Overall, QD-OLED seems to be on a path to being declared the winner, but there are still some noticeable downsides. If you often watch TV in a bright room, the superior reflection handling and higher peak brightness of pure whites on WOLED panels make them a clear winner. The overall performance of each TV is more important than the specific panel used, and due to differences in specific panels, the best one overall depends on the individual TV. For lower-end or mid-tier OLED TVs, QD-OLED seems slightly better, but higher-end WOLED panels with MLA deliver significantly brighter highlights and better reflection handling.

Here’s what I’m up against, my TV room is a great room with a southwest exposure and 16’ of glass wall.

So nighttime viewing, after sunset, the room can be nicely darkened. Otherwise I have a decent amount of bright, warm light coming into that room anytime after 1/2pm.

My primary viewing is NFL and I’ll occasionally watch a movie. I stream YouTube videos to this new tv as my primary content source.

I’ve been learning about these new tvs for the past 6 months. My last tv purchase was a 55” Samsung LED tv around 14 years ago.

I’ll probably choose one model down from the top of the line as spending $6500 on a tv seems kind ridiculous to me. And my better half would most likely kill me.

I’m already being joked at by my kids for buying a 83” tv when “I don’t watch tv” really.

My choices are the C4 LG and it’s Samsung competitor, the S90D. The Sony is just too expensive for features I’m not sure I’ll need or benefit from.

My primary tv signal is OTA uncompressed. I don’t subscribe to cable tv. I get Prime and Netflix as add ons for my Prime and T-Mobile subscriptions. I try to avoid MRC subscriptions.
83" is big...but I get it especially given your description of the glass and ambient light. I went with a 75" 3 years ago setting up my basement home theater. I was very surprised by how much bigger it really is than the 65" set we had in our beach house. When I first saw the 83" and 85" sets in Costco, I thought Wow...I chose not to go with OLED. Went with a 75" TCL 6 series 120hz which rtings scored very high...plus I love the Roku platform. Sound is pretty important too. Some of the soundbars available now are outstanding but I have solid 5.1 setups with a pretty good one in the basement HT.

Good luck the reviews of the C4 seem to be an improvement over the C3. Actually I am hoping maybe the LG G3 65" gets under 2k as that has the MLA panel so its a brighter set and would handle reflections alot better.

For me no Dolby Vision is a non-starter which rules out the Samsung for me and if I was buying an 83" set since Samsung uses LG panels why not just by an LG.

Samsung is the number 1 producer of Tv's in the world so what do I know. :unsure:
It’s between the S90D and C4. No final decision yet. I have until August to decide.

Back