Korean Stir Fried Noodles with Beef (aka "Japchae")

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Well, I cooked the beef portion of this dish on the Weber, so I suppose I can pass it off as "grilling".

First, grilled a ribeye that I sliced in half horizontally, then marinated overnight in soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, and honey. After grilling, I sliced the ribeye into thin strips...

Next, did all the prep work on the vegetables, and stir fried in the wok...

Finally, added the cooked glass noodles (seasoned with soy sauce & sesame oil), and we have the finished dish...

Well Jerome, your pix sent me over the edge and I had to make your dish this weekend and it was fantastic. I ended up using pork chops instead because that's what I had on hand to marinate my only problem
was when I went to the Asian market and tried to find glass noodles. Nothing was called glass noodles and I ended up with rice noodles that never turned opaque and had a different consistency.
Can you tell me what the pkg says the noodles are called. Thanks in advance.

jon

Well Jerome, your pix sent me over the edge and I had to make your dish this weekend and it was fantastic. I ended up using pork chops instead because that's what I had on hand to marinate my only problem
was when I went to the Asian market and tried to find glass noodles. Nothing was called glass noodles and I ended up with rice noodles that never turned opaque and had a different consistency.
Can you tell me what the pkg says the noodles are called. Thanks in advance.

jon

Hi Jon,

The noodles you need for this dish are called dang myun, which are clear cellophane noodles made from sweet potato starch. Their texture is more elastic than conventional rice noodles. Here is a link to the recipe I used as a guideline...

http://www.trifood.com/japchae.asp

Thanks Jerome. Needless to say there were a few ingredients that I didn't know about and it still came out delicious.
Thanks too for the infor on the noodles. I'll be picking some up today as my family wants the dish again and soon.

Back