$50 SS Performer CL find

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
After reading through 100s of notificaitons on my craigslist app for my android, 75% of which were for weber carbs (Which I finally switched the keyword from weber to weber grill), I finally got something I was looking for.

'03 SS Performer

SSperformer.jpg

It needs an entire ash system. The handle is missing on the lid, and has a large dent. Nice little project for the winter. Not bad for $50. I also might use the frame to mount a 22.5 WSM next year.

Also, the connector bar on the frame is loose and need to be fixed, but thanks to Bill_B for posting the $2 fix!

Nice save Josh. Projects like these keep us off the streets and out of trouble.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Mac!

I just went to the weber parts store site and I am not seeing the ash catcher. Will I have to call them for it, or just look for a OTG on CL ?

Also, the casters aren't in the best condition either so I was considering replacing them if they were cheap enough, but they aren't on there either.

Hey, I have a handle off a Performer that I replaced the lid on. You can have it if you pay for shipping. It is off a 97 black performer. You could drill it and bolt it on with some stainless hardware. Let me know if you are interested. My email address is in my profile.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Thanks Mac!

I just went to the weber parts store site and I am not seeing the ash catcher. Will I have to call them for it, or just look for a OTG on CL ?

Also, the casters aren't in the best condition either so I was considering replacing them if they were cheap enough, but they aren't on there either.

They do not make the older style ash catchers anymore. You would need to get the style from your 2010 performer and modify the legs to fit it on the older style bowl. Since your is an 03' your legs may have the slots in it for it to fit. Not sure though.

Scott,

Thanks, but I think I am going to replace the entire lid. The dent on it is really bad. If it was a smaller dent, I would definetly grab it from you. Did you replace your lid with a new one ? Again, didn't see that on the parts site.

I had read a little about the having to use the newer system on other posts, but I can't find it ? Not on the weber site or amazon ?

Scott,

Thanks, but I think I am going to replace the entire lid. The dent on it is really bad. If it was a smaller dent, I would definetly grab it from you. Did you replace your lid with a new one ? Again, didn't see that on the parts site.

I had read a little about the having to use the newer system on other posts, but I can't find it ? Not on the weber site or amazon ?

You will have to call Weber to get anything for that grill. They don't lest much on their website. Tell them you need a black lid for an 03' performer (I think it was $39) and tell them your ash catcher is messed up on your 10' performer. They won't sell you the ash catcher for the 03' unless it was the model without the ash catcher bar. I tried to get it and they said they have to sell me a new bowl and that was $70 more. You have to be creative about how to tell them. The lid won't be a big deal at all. The ash catcher is the hard part. I guess it just depends on who answers the phone there.

Thanks Scott!

$39 for a lid is much less than I thought, does that include the thermo? I know the older model had a different thermo than my '10.

Another question, got any creative ideas on how my ash catcher could get messed up on the '10 ? It's such a simple design, I am not sure. Maybe I could tell them it fell ?

Thanks Scott!

$39 for a lid is much less than I thought, does that include the thermo? I know the older model had a different thermo than my '10.

Another question, got any creative ideas on how my ash catcher could get messed up on the '10 ? It's such a simple design, I am not sure. Maybe I could tell them it fell ?

It doesn't come with the thermo. That was $12.

You could say you were trying to get the ash container off and you bent it and now it doesn't fit right and you don't want hot coals to fall on the ground. They will probably try to give you one for free under warranty. It all depends on how you tell them. You could say you were trying to put something on the cart and you knocked the catcher off and bent it.

I need one too and I don't want to lie to them but I also don't want to buy a new style bowl. Maybe one day I will I will get the courage to call.

Mac,

Thanks for the post. I should be able to knock that out no problem.

Although I don't have room (Well, the wife doesn't think I have room) for another grill, I could always send the modified OTS to my uncle's or the family's lake house. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a decent priced OTG on CL in the Atlanta area in awhile. We rarely have good deals here, unlike you Californians who seem to just buy Webers and sell them at insanely low prices
icon_smile.gif

I will try weber this afternoon.

Scott,

So they still have the older style lid ? I was wondering if they would replace it with the new lid.

Mac,

Thanks for the post. I should be able to knock that out no problem.

Although I don't have room (Well, the wife doesn't think I have room) for another grill, I could always send the modified OTS to my uncle's or the family's lake house. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a decent priced OTG on CL in the Atlanta area in awhile. We rarely have good deals here, unlike you Californians who seem to just buy Webers and sell them at insanely low prices
icon_smile.gif

I will try weber this afternoon.

Scott,

So they still have the older style lid ? I was wondering if they would replace it with the new lid.

The new lid is actually a newer lid. 2 years old for mine judging by the date code on the vent. It looks identical to the one that was on there before just a different date code. It is not the one with the temp gauge built into the lid but it is built into the handle.

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
...I'd double check the date too, It's possible that's not the original Lid. I don't think the SS Performer was made after 1999.
Good luck and have fun.

Mac, any idea where else the date code would be ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
...I'd double check the date too, It's possible that's not the original Lid. I don't think the SS Performer was made after 1999.
Good luck and have fun.

Mac, any idea where else the date code would be ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a letter code on the top vent on the lid. Mine was like EI or something.

Mac,

The lid was at least the style that had the detachable thermometer, as I can see the hole for it and where the handle was mounted / broken off. Maybe someone can canfirm as to when they stopped making the SS.

The date code on the bottle is '98, but of course that really doesn't help as the bottle could have been made years before going to Weber, or the guy picked it up somewhere. I wish weber would mark the date code somewhere other than a vent.

Speaking of the previous owner.... so I decide get into the cleaning some tonight. What I thought was a charcoal bowl full of ash turned out to be sand. I have no idea what would posses him to put sand in there. My only guess could be that because the ash sweeper / dampers are gone, it was a way to kill the fire ???

Well, he must have done it for a few years and left this thing uncovered out in the rain. I knew going into this project I would need a grate. Well, the charcoal grate is in really bad shape. The top grate may just need some scrubbing and oil. It's a hinged model, so I will put some work into it.

SSperformer3.jpg

SSperformer4.jpg

And this is what the sand has caused:

SSperformer2.jpg

SSperformer1.jpg

Now of course my '10 performer has a bunch of 1/2 used charcoal in it so I can not easily look on how the ash sweeper mounts. But I am guessing rust in this spot is not good for my rebuild. Any suggestions ?

One of my original ideas was to use it as a frame to mount a 22.5 WSM. This would save me money on the lid, ash sweeper, ash catcher, and grate. I have access to a metal shop to make any brackets I need to mounting the WSM.

Thanks to everyone for any ideas / suggestions!

Wow Josh,
That is one heck of rust problem you got there. From the photo's I'd say the bowl is a goner, and I wouldn't waste my time on the grates either.
If it was mine, my first step would be to make a list of the parts that are missing or in need of repair. Then I would give Weber CS a call to how much replacement parts would be before making the decision of whether it's worth it or not.
The idea of using the frame for your WSM sounds good. I'd maybe think of moving the Kettle from the newer Performer to the SS one and use the newer frame for the WSM mod. The thought of a WSM with a Touch-N-Go ignition system has me thinking. It would be kind of MM start. Mmmmmm
89.gif

BTW, according to the Schematics search from Weber, 1999 was the last year for the SS Performer.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back